Hen with yellow urates

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
Hello,

Today was a sad day. I brought my hen in thinking she was having trouble laying an egg. By 2:30 pm she had passed away:( I knew she had a chronic health issue because was always panting and she never tried to run. I felt pretty sure she had water belly as her abdomen did not feel like my other hens. I did a lot of extra things to keep her cool and safe. When I brought her in she was normal except she was tail pumping. I saw a soft egg under where she rooster and figured she was trying to expel the rest of the egg contents. I gave her a warm bath, poultry cell, and a calcium pill. Her poops were wet but nothing alarming. She had a great appetite and was very alert. I noticed her breathing change and she could suddenly not stand. She became very lethargic and had bright yellow urates. It looked like cooked egg yolk. I am posting a picture hoping someone can shed some light on what happened. She was a 16 month old buff Orpington. Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• 6799657F-BCA9-41DC-B15D-275A30488327.jpeg
    6799657F-BCA9-41DC-B15D-275A30488327.jpeg
    559.7 KB · Views: 47
I'm sorry about your hen:hugs

From your description, it sounds like she was having reproductive difficulties.

If you still have the body and can take a look inside, this may reveal more about what the cause of her dying.

I'm sorry about your hen:hugs

From your description, it sounds like she was having reproductive difficulties.

If you still have the body and can take a look inside, this may reveal more about what the cause of her dying.
Thank you. I think she was too. My heart is broken :(

Back
Top Bottom