Hen won’t stand or walk; tumbles when she does

americanchicken

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
Hi there!
I’m a first time flock owner. All of my girls are about a year and a half now, I have 4 ameracaunas that I got as chicks (unvaccinated).
The seeming leader of the flock, Joyce, has been acting odd since at least Monday 6/5, but probably Sunday, too.
When I found her, she was mostly sitting, which is why I didn’t catch it right away. I thought she was just dust bathing.
Turns out, she isn’t walking very well. It seems like it could be Marek’s, but at the same time I feel like it could be something else like a vitamin deficiency.
She doesn’t feel different from her sisters, rather, when she walks, she has her chest down more, and then when she walks or runs (cause she’s definitely a runner) she tumbles completely over. She still has control of her wings, sometimes she’ll use them for balance, and she’s definitely kicked her legs to get away from my dog when she came running up near her, granted not enough to actually move anywhere as she was laying on her side, but she still kicked her feet. Pretty hard actually. She can stand, but prefers to sit on her hocks; and JUST her legs tremor when she’s sitting with her feet to the side (same direction, not splayed). It’s also not constant.
Her coordination isn’t good, so I’ve been thinking whatever it is, is neurological.
She doesn’t appear to be injured.
I’ve been giving her the laying food we get from tractor supply, and today started adding poultry cell to help out hoping it might be a vitamin deficiency or something like that.
I originally thought she could be egg bound, but in the last 5 days I’ve gotten two eggs from her. Either Tuesday or Wednesday, and today.
Her poops mostly runny with some solids, but not a lot.
She’s not eating as much. I’m trying to hand feed her a bit, and she goes through the motions but she doesn’t actually eat it, and she’s been eating a little from the food I’ve given her separate from her sisters. She will drink water, I’ve added a bit of apple cider vinegar.
I will add, I recently started to try to ferment the feed (last Friday!), but have since stopped just in case.
I’m looking for guidance, and whatever advice or experience if it does sound like Marek’s.
I do have her separated, but I also walk with her outside in the grass to see if she’s gotten better, and she’s been about the same.
(*in these pictures, she’s sitting on one leg, sometimes both are to the side and that’s how she sits*)
She’s such a sweet girl, and I’d love to help her get back to normal. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• B44FD9B7-0001-46F7-B5EF-4B7677D55989.jpeg
    B44FD9B7-0001-46F7-B5EF-4B7677D55989.jpeg
    915.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1846210D-D04F-46C8-988F-9811A32DCC96.jpeg
    1846210D-D04F-46C8-988F-9811A32DCC96.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 12
Why hasn’t anyone answered? Your poor hen! I only know about ducks, but it’s so sad. I wish someone would give you some advice. They are a great group of wonderful and caring people here. They have helped me soooo much so many times and helped me save many of my ducklings. Good luck hun, keep us posted. Prayers, Amy 🙏

In case of a vitamin deficiency you can try and give her 1 vitamin e capsule, and 1/4 of a b complex tablet once daily. Just pull down the wattles and pop the pills in the back of their throat, release their wattles and they'll swallow it on their own if you put it back far enough. Have you introduced any new chickens recently? If these are your original hens and you haven't introduced new chickens then I feel like mareks is less likely the cause.

I would post again in the AM if no one has gotten back to you. Two of the folks that are the most knowledgeable are closer to the east coast and probably just off for the night. Till then, here is an article on Mareks that you maybe be able to get some info from. It also has a great list of stuff that looks like mareks but isn't.

I hope your hen pulls through.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

I agree that I would give her vitamins orally just in case she has a vitamin deficiency. B complex is very good for leg issues, and vitamin E 400 IU daily can help with neurological problems. Can you offer her water and try to get her eating some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg? Could she be starting to molt? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent weeks or months? Usually Mareks strikes young birds, but can happen later if exposed by a new carrier. Make sure that she can reach food and water. A chicken sling may be helpful to get her upright and in front of food and water.

In case of a vitamin deficiency you can try and give her 1 vitamin e capsule, and 1/4 of a b complex tablet once daily. Just pull down the wattles and pop the pills in the back of their throat, release their wattles and they'll swallow it on their own if you put it back far enough. Have you introduced any new chickens recently? If these are your original hens and you haven't introduced new chickens then I feel like mareks is less likely the cause.
I had my husband get some b complex yesterday, hopefully that’ll help.
These are the same girls I’ve had since the start. It’s perplexing to me too because I thought I’d done a good job keeping them all isolated from everything. Even wild birds /: I have hope that it’s not mareks; thank you!!

I agree that I would give her vitamins orally just in case she has a vitamin deficiency. B complex is very good for leg issues, and vitamin E 400 IU daily can help with neurological problems. Can you offer her water and try to get her eating some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg? Could she be starting to molt? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent weeks or months? Usually Mareks strikes young birds, but can happen later if exposed by a new carrier. Make sure that she can reach food and water. A chicken sling may be helpful to get her upright and in front of food and water.
No new birds, but I’ll definitely try the vitamins. She can reach for food and water though. Otherwise she’s idle.

Back
Top Bottom