Hen won't brood after laying 7eggs

ReiK

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
Philippines
Hi everyone!

Thank you in advance for responding. I have one hen who have already laid 7 eggs and for 2days no added egg on the clutch. But she still won't sit on them, it has been past 1 week or so since the first egg. How can i make her brood or sit? As i don't have an incubator nor other broody hen available for me to transfer the eggs. She is with a rooster but the cage is big enough and spacious.

What breed is she? I know some breeds have less of a tendency to go broody. Also how old? My silkies have been laying for about a week and I read that they won’t go broody until they have been laying for at least a month. And they’re a breed known for their broodiness.

But in the meantime you can stick fake eggs in place of the real ones to encourage her to sit without compromising your eggs. Then take your real eggs and put them into a safe storage space or make a temporary incubator. I’ve only ever hatched with an incubator though so take my advice as you will.

What breed is she? I know some breeds have less of a tendency to go broody. Also how old? My silkies have been laying for about a week and I read that they won’t go broody until they have been laying for at least a month. And they’re a breed known for their broodiness.

But in the meantime you can stick fake eggs in place of the real ones to encourage her to sit without compromising your eggs. Then take your real eggs and put them into a safe storage space or make a temporary incubator. I’ve only ever hatched with an incubator though so take my advice as you will.
Hi. Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately the chicken was just a gift so i don't know the breed and the age. Will try doing the take the eggs... thank you.

Hi. While i was getting the eggs, i found a poultry supply in my area who actually accepts eggs to be incubated. But i am not sure can these 7eggs still hatch if incubated? The first egg laid on april 11th and the last 7th egg is april 21st, will there still be a chance for the eggs to hatch if i bring it to the store for them to incubate? The egg seems to be quite clean not much dirt on them.. thank you in advance for answering.

I had eggs hatch that were two weeks old and these were shipped eggs. They got stuck in post for two weeks so who knows what they went through. But I ended up with two fertile eggs and two hatched eggs. I know the usual cut off is a week, after that the hatchability is lower, but it is possible. That’s cool that a farm store near you does that.

I had eggs hatch that were two weeks old and these were shipped eggs. They got stuck in post for two weeks so who knows what they went through. But I ended up with two fertile eggs and two hatched eggs. I know the usual cut off is a week, after that the hatchability is lower, but it is possible. That’s cool that a farm store near you does that.
Thank you, excited to know that there is possibility for some to still hatch. Will bring them tomorrow as they only accept on a specific day to place a batch inside their incubator. Can we use pentle pen or permanent ink marker on the eggs as they said to mark the eggs so we'll know ours?🙂

You will know when she goes broody. She will sit on the nest and not get off it. Even if she does get off it for abit she will go right back to it and sit.

Back
Top Bottom