Henny Penny Escaped!!

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
At around 4:30 it was just starting to get dark, I had her in my backroom while I finished up her temp coop. I went inside to bring her out to her little area, and I squated down with her in my hands and put her in, while I watched her - she kept eyeing the trees - she scooted past me and out the door! Flew to my compost container - I tried to grab her tail feathers but she flew 25 feet up to my neighbors oak tree!

My heart just dropped. I was devastated. I grabbed some scratch in a cup and was trying to lure her back down.
sad.png
She slowly walked along the branch towards my yard - I thought she was gonna come down - but she flew over to my cedar tree, which was against the corner of my house - but atleast she was in my yard. She settled there for the night, but I could'nt reach her, I have a step ladder not a regular big ladder. I didn't sleep well. I got up at 3:45 and went out to check on her, I could see her shape in the tree.

Around 5:30 she started to stir and I was talking to her to come down, I had food for her. Titmice, nuthatches and chickadees started giving her a hard time in the tree.. she flew out into my neighbor's front yard! I got my DD and we went out to try to get her. She is smaller than my standards and she's sleek and fast. About an hour later we corraled her into my back yard. But she's a flyer! We both tried to contain her in our yard. (We have 6' cedar fence all around) Poor girl, she was confused with her new suroundings (sp) any quick movement and she tried to fly over the fence.

I made a hook thingy to try to catch her but she would get more frightened, and I didn't want her to fly away again.

Speckledhen - I had to do this, I had no recourse at the time, and I let my two hens out. They did the job for me, they rounded her up and proceeded to express dominance on her. I felt bad for her, but Ruby and Pearl were telling her like it is. She hung around the yard and didn't try to fly away, she was interested in the other two hens. But they were like - just keep your distance, bird!

Around 3:30 p.m. I watched the action with them, so I could witness where she would go that night. Yup - 4:30 she flew back up to the cedar tree - but only halfway up. Yes! I felt so relieved! I went out at 7:30 p.m. and she was all comfy in the tree, and I snagged her, scratched her neck til her feet relaxed and put her in the greenhouse. She has a nice nest in there, and food and water. But I HAVE HER BACK and she's safe. Today I go to Lowe's for better equipment to build her a safer place. I hope I didn't contaminate my other two birds, but what is done is done.

Glad you caught her...little bugger! What kind of chicken is she? I have had trouble with Sumatras flying and I clipped both wings. Looked better
wink.png

What an escape artist! I agree with clipping a wing-hopefully it will make it easier for you if there is a next time.
I'm glad you were able to catch her again!
smile.png

Henny Penny you have a good home-now stay put!

My heart was in my throat till I got to the part where you got her back! So glad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor thing is so unsettled and confused with all that's been happening. What a beautiful thing it will be when she settles down, knows where food and love is coming from, and wants to stay put! Congrats on getting her back. Wicked cold weather is coming to NJ Wednesday so it's great that she will be all snuggled in when that time comes!
JJ

gulp.... breathing deeply...

Whew..

I know I'm gonna get yelled at here but I would put her with my
other birds now. The heck with decontamination. She didn't
come from another flock and she is obviously healthy. She has
had the taste of freedom, a taste that will be hard to get rid of.
She needs to develop the flock mentality quick.

Good job Luna!!!

I too was worried when I saw your thread title!

I'm SOOOOO glad you got her back! She's one tough customer!

I agree with Don - I'd go ahead and put her with your girls. What's done is done and since she is a healthy bird and has already been with your girls for a short while, if there are any germs to share, they already most likely have shared them.

Good job getting her back!

Hey, I know I'm pretty hardnosed about quarantine, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and I get that. I would have done the same thing. Hey, it worked, right? I'm so glad she's back with you now!

Back
Top Bottom