Hens Attacking Chick

ClaraCluckChicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 11, 2017
Hello!
A couple days ago I snuck two, two day old chicks to my broody hen (first time being broody, the other 5 hens have not ever been broody). Things were going great, she was putting the chicks under her and everything seemed great! Then yesterday afternoon I noticed one of the chicks missing. Searched everywhere and couldn't find it. Today we saw the other hens carrying around the remaining baby chick and my broody hen chasing them. I got the chick, she seems OK (bloody foot but is eating and drinking, walking and chirping). I've got her in a little box with a warming light currently until I figure out our next steps. Should we separate the mom and the chick from the others now? Or pen them off but let them remain near the others? I've heard re-introducing later is hard? Advice, please!

They should have been separated to begin with; big chickens don’t like little chickens; they are a threat to their food and resources. I would just get some chicken wire and partition off an area - or create a panic area where the chicks can learn to escape but the big hens can’t fit through.

Broody hens normally protect the chicks, but the hen needs to have a high enough spot in the pecking order. In your case see if you can get a see no touch section for the hen and her chicks. Is the chick able to go back with the mom? The longer you wait to put it back the harder it will be.

Broody hens normally protect the chicks, but the hen needs to have a high enough spot in the pecking order. In your case see if you can get a see no touch section for the hen and her chicks. Is the chick able to go back with the mom? The longer you wait to put it back the harder it will be.
Yes she should be good to go back. I think she’s going to lose part of her toe but is walking fine and seems ok. The mom was trying to get her chick back and went back to her nest after I took it away. She’s working on keeping a couple eggs warm in the mean time. Working on making a private section for her.

Back
Top Bottom