Hen's eye stuck shut - not laying

Vicinochicks

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Help! My rhode island red woke up yesterday with her right eye shut. I wiped it with a warm washcloth and it opened temporarily and was cloudy inside. Today she has been tired, not eating as much, and has stopped laying eggs. She is only 7 months old...I have included pics of her eye. Not sure what is wrong...any advice?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Welcome to BYC. She could have something that has gotten into her eye, a peck wound, but she also may have a respiratory infection. Look for any foam or bubbles in the eye, eye or nasal drainage, cough or sneeze, or any rattles in the throat or chest. I would use some saline or eye wash, and put Neosporin or Terramycin ointment into the eye twice a day. If the eyelid becomes swollen or the other symptoms above develop, then I would get bottle of Tylan 50 from your feed store, with 5 small syringes (3 cc) and 22 gauge needles. Give 1 ml orally or as a shot into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep, once a day for 3 to 5 days. Of course remove the needle if giving orally, but the needle is for withdrawing medication from the vial. Here is a good link on respiratory infections: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Vicinochicks

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Thank you! I put some neosporin on it and it already seems better. i think she may have gotten into a tussle with another chicken.

Top Bottom