Hen's eye stuck shut - not laying

Vicinochicks

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Help! My rhode island red woke up yesterday with her right eye shut. I wiped it with a warm washcloth and it opened temporarily and was cloudy inside. Today she has been tired, not eating as much, and has stopped laying eggs. She is only 7 months old...I have included pics of her eye. Not sure what is wrong...any advice?

Welcome to BYC. She could have something that has gotten into her eye, a peck wound, but she also may have a respiratory infection. Look for any foam or bubbles in the eye, eye or nasal drainage, cough or sneeze, or any rattles in the throat or chest. I would use some saline or eye wash, and put Neosporin or Terramycin ointment into the eye twice a day. If the eyelid becomes swollen or the other symptoms above develop, then I would get bottle of Tylan 50 from your feed store, with 5 small syringes (3 cc) and 22 gauge needles. Give 1 ml orally or as a shot into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep, once a day for 3 to 5 days. Of course remove the needle if giving orally, but the needle is for withdrawing medication from the vial. Here is a good link on respiratory infections: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you! I put some neosporin on it and it already seems better. i think she may have gotten into a tussle with another chicken.

Back
Top Bottom