My Chicken won’t wake up, remains flat on the floor, neck fully extended, eyes closed shut. Help!

Jadesim

Hatching
Aug 15, 2023
Margo is a 2 year old chicken
She is currently laying eggs
She was well until yesterday when I found her flat in the coop.
Neck fully extended and eyes closed shut
I don’t know what to do
I’ve been giving her electrolytes to keep her hydrated and wrapped her to keep her warm
Any suggestions?

Is she swallowing or responding to the fluids with beak and throat movement? You might try gently opening one eye and using a low power flashlight to look for pupil dilation also... Off the cuff, sounds like a head/neck injury, but I could be totally wrong.

Attachments

• F6B22E24-2A99-49EC-9013-8E4DE847C09F.jpeg
    F6B22E24-2A99-49EC-9013-8E4DE847C09F.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 15
  • F6B22E24-2A99-49EC-9013-8E4DE847C09F.jpeg
    F6B22E24-2A99-49EC-9013-8E4DE847C09F.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 15
Is she swallowing or responding to the fluids with beak and throat movement? You might try gently opening one eye and using a low power flashlight to look for pupil dilation also... Off the cuff, sounds like a head/neck injury, but I could be totally wrong.
She is swallowing yes
Body’s muscle tone feels ok
It’s just her neck thats floppy
Seems like she has no control over it

Poor girl. :(

Keep up the electrolytes. I think it'd also be good to mix 1tspn of sugar into 1 cup of warm water and give her some of that.
How's your weather been?
What's her diet?

Could it be wry neck? I've never seen it present this way, but you could try giving her vitamin E. I can check the dosage if you want to try. Can she walk around at all?

Poor girl. :(

Keep up the electrolytes. I think it'd also be good to mix 1tspn of sugar into 1 cup of warm water and give her some of that.
How's your weather been?
What's her diet?
We are in the tropics currently its a bit windier
She eats grass and pellets we also let her out everyday for abit so I don’t know if she ate something while foraging

Back
Top Bottom