Hens not eating enough...

slmello

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
Auckland, ca
I have some skinny hens, you can feel the 'hatchet' between their breast. I recently switched layer pellets because they were not consuming very much. They are still not eating much. I have a hanging tin feeder that I allowed them to feed on as much as they want. I filled it about 1/4 full and I haven't replenished in over 4 days. There are 3 hens and 2 pullets. The feed is stored in a large aluminum/tin garbage can. The can is exposed to the sun part of the day. Could the can be contaminating the feed?

Last edited:
I'm guessing it is hot where you are. Never expose feed to sunlight or the heat will break down the nutrients (and probably the taste) especially in a metal container. Feed needs to be stored in the driest and coolest location available.
It may not be a problem in a dry climate like yours but I can't store feed in a metal container because they sweat when they get hot in humidity. That moisture will mold the feed and possibly kill the birds.
Get the feed out of the sun.
If possible, discard that feed and get fresh feed.
Follow your birds and collect some fresh fecal samples. Take them to a vet that will read them or send them to the state poultry lab to check for parasites, especially worms.
Chickens eat a lot less when it's hot.

ETA
The hatchet is called the keel bone.

Last edited:
Thanks, ChickenCanoe. I will get new feed and move the container to the storage shed. I really appreciate your input. I womed the chickens last week with Wazine, Monday will be ten days to re-worm. What do you recommend for wormer. The feed guy gave me Wazine, but I have recently heard of success with Ivermectin paste.
PS. For the life of me couldn't remember the word keel
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom