Hens or Roosters?

tsuninight

Chirping
6 Years
May 6, 2013
Maricopa, AZ
Hello,

Since I know nearly nothing about chickens, other than they are cute, what to feed them, how to clean the coop and the fact that yes they do indeed eat bugs I figured I might ask for some help.

I got 3 chickens. 2 (the Rhode Island Red and the Barred Rock) I got from Pet Club who stated they only purchase hens, but quickly added that they can't guarantee the sex. The other I got from a breeder who said she wasn't sure if she was selling me a female or male Polish chicken. Since I can't have roosters, I figured it might be worth asking if you guys knew.

Sorry some of the pics are a little fuzzy. Also since I wasn't completely sure which side of the wing you wanted to see, you got the underside. I can however chase them down again tomorrow and torture them with the camera again.

Red:
Cadbury:

Peep (Barred Rock)

Betty (Polish)

I don't actually know how old they are. I know Betty is older than the other two. I was surprised when she was brought in at how big she was. I was actually hoping she'd have a floppier head of top feathers, but she's still adorable with her mohawk. I thought she was going to be younger than Peep & Cadbury.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if Betty's black cone was hen like or going rooster on me. I'm not sure when they even start looking like a "rooster" vs a hen.. and unless it sprouted large tail feathers and spurs or started with early morning antics. For the most part all of them are pretty quiet and just peep when I pick them up.. except Peep, who seems to care less after I chase her around enough to catch her. It' s like oh hey... well you caught me, now what? Peeps is the quietest of the 3... which is somehow ironic.

Supposed to be a Polish, but it wouldn't surprise me since every picture I've seen of a polish looks significantly different than Betty does.

here are some better pics of their faces. I had a friend help me re-capture them. It's kind of funny because they aren't very easy to catch, but they are really sweet once you do catch them. I really need to catch them on a daily basis so they don't think I'm the boogie monster.

Cadbury:

Peep: (Peep got 2 due to finding the most inconvenient way to look at the camera)

Betty - Betty does have a much bigger cone, but it's only just a bit pink toward the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom