Hens that have not molted at almost 2 years old- Never had this before-solutions?

Cindy in PA

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
2 of my 9 Blue Wyandottes have not done their first adult molt & will be two years old the middle of April. I don't remember seeing this in the past 28 years of chicken raising. Their hatch mates did a slow molt in Oct & Nov while still laying & then stopped laying all of Dec & Jan & finished their molt. These 2 are still laying eggs & were the only ones laying in Dec & Jan. The beginning of Feb the others started laying again along with my 7 pullets. The eggs of these birds are pale & somewhat rough, so poor shell quality. The birds look ratty, because of not molting. This is the first year I didn't use lights for 14 hours. I had the light go on at 5 a.m. all winter. Yesterday I got one rough egg & one soft egg, not sure if the soft one was from one of these two. Anyone had this problem? I assume they are not going to molt. Are they going to kill themselves? Can anything be done besides separating them & giving them less light?

I have a Golden Sex-link this age that hasn't molted yet. Her sister started molting a month ago and is about halfway to the finish line.

In the past, a Cream Legbar/EE mix didn't have her first molt until she was two, and she has skipped molt every other year up until this fall when she finally molted when the others did.

Genetics plays a strong role in molt. So be patient. There really isn't anything to do about this unless you absolutely need the chickens to molt now, and the methods are quite cruel.

I have a Golden Sex-link this age that hasn't molted yet. Her sister started molting a month ago and is about halfway to the finish line.

In the past, a Cream Legbar/EE mix didn't have her first molt until she was two, and she has skipped molt every other year up until this fall when she finally molted when the others did.

Genetics plays a strong role in molt. So be patient. There really isn't anything to do about this unless you absolutely need the chickens to molt now, and the methods are quite cruel.
That's what I thought, but man they look ugly, all ratty & faded. I don't need them to molt, I just feel bad for them. Their combs are bright red like the others! Do you mean your hen molted the next fall or right at 2 years? Just amazed I never remember seeing this before.

Back
Top Bottom