Hens won't leave coop

SarahInAlaska

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
I recently got two BCM hens. One refuses to leave the nesting boxes and the other will sit on the little pole right outside. I knock them off and shoo them out to the run and as soon as I do they sprint back in right back to the same spot. I have nothing to prevent them from getting in the nesting boxes. The boxes are getting disgusting. I also have a golden comet who is roosting in a box. What do I do?

They definitely aren't broody. One of my other Maran mixes is bullying them. I put that hen in "jail" but the other two still won't come out. I can't lock them out of the coop because my others won't be able to lay in the nest boxes. Any ideas to get these two out of the coop?

Can you take the boxes out at night? If not just find something to block them at night, It really doesn't matter what as long as they can't get in even cardboard will do if you can tack it up.It sounds like they haven't worked out the pecking order yet and the lower girls are trying to stay out of everybodys way Blocking the boxes will at night will help and you might also try locking everbody out for a couple of hours at a time in the afternoon after most of the girls have already layed. Sooner or later they will start to mix with the other girls and work it out.As for the bully you may have to keep her in jail long enough for her to drop a few rungs in the pecking order and then let her back with the flock after the new kids are accepted.

Turns out I had two bullies. One of my BCMs and my Golden Comet. After I locked them up one of the BCMs that wouldn't leave the coop came out. The other one is at least leaving the nest box if not the coop. I'll try to find something to block the nest boxes since they are attached to the wall. Thanks for the advice.

Sarah when you put the bullies back into the flock do it one at a time so that they can't team up and start picking on everybody.

It's hard to say but you want the new girls to to be part of the flock and secure in the pecking order and a week or so will sometimes be enough for the bullies to become outsiders and less prone to pick on others while their trying to fit in themselves.You just have to play it by ear, give a while and give it a try.there is going to be some fussin going on but try not to interfere unless it gets bad.The fighting over pecking order is going to happen and the sooner they settle it the sooner the flock will settle down.they may not become best of friends some times if they tolerate each other it's good enough.

Back
Top Bottom