Hens ystopped roosting in coop

chickenmom24

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2018
Austin, Texas
I have 5 hens, about 6-7 months old: plymouth rock, rhode island red, brahma (i think), an ameraucana and I still haven't found out what my fifth hen is. She is all black/grey with a few white speckles.

Prior to about a month ago, our girls were roosting in their coops every night on their own. We have an automated chicken door that closes when it gets dark and opens when the sun comes up. It only took our girls about a couple of weeks to learn to go back in their coop at night before the door closed. After free ranging all day, they'd walk their pretty butts up the stairs and into their coop for the night with no problem!

About 1 month and a half ago, I noticed 1 hen wasn't making it in at night. This lasted for about a week - I'd have to go outside every night and put her in the coop. Then 1 became 2, 2 became 3 and now all 5 of my hens aren't making it in their coop at night!!!!

Instead of going in their coop to roost, they are roosting on top of this bar that is right outside of their coop instead. I have to come and put them into their coop every night now. I am located in Central Texas so the temperatures are at LEAST 100 degrees every day, starting a couple of months ago. Is it possible their coop is too hot? Should I remove that bar they are roosting on instead of in their coop???

We have a couple of windows in their coop that we covered w/chicken wire to keep predators out. Should we install a few more?

If you need more information, let me know! I am new to this so I am trying my best to keep my girls as happy and as SAFE as possible. I am beginning work on Monday which means I won't be coming home until after dark many times and I'm terrified of them being out in the open at night.

Sorry for the long post, your help is very much appreciated!!

UPDATE: I have hardware cloth on the windows, NOT chicken wire. My bad!!!!!

Last edited:
Pictures would help. Sounds like a smaller coop? Those can be hot and stuffy. Have you stuck your head in it at night to see? Also take a flashlight at night and check for mites on the roosts.

It does sound like it is too hot in the coop for them. Pictures with dimensions of your coop will help.
Also, the chicken wire will do nothing to keep predators out. You need to replace that with hardware cloth.

X2 on pics.
As already mentioned, temp and mites are possible causes. Poultry net/chicken wire is only good for containing chickens. Use a 1/2" hardware cloth to cover windows and any other openings. General rule of thumb is if you can fit a quarter through a predator can get through.

I think you should remove the bar outside the coop, and maybe remove the automatic door and make it manual, because the door may be closing before the hens are ready to go inside. I think you need to check for mites on the roosts like some others have said. I also agree that the coop is too hot. I hope this helps:fl

I think you should remove the bar outside the coop, and maybe remove the automatic door and make it manual, because the door may be closing before the hens are ready to go inside. I think you need to check for mites on the roosts like some others have said. I also agree that the coop is too hot. I hope this helps:fl
The door has always closed at the same time! The chickens are making their way into their run at the same time as always, just all of a sudden stopped going inside their coop. I tried adjusting it to the lowest possible settings and leaving the door open. When I left the door open last night, only one made it in but the remaining 4 stayed on that bar :/

Pics of the set up will really help. Possible causes I can think of- temperature, pests, crowding, contamination (waste, or incompatible product) Have you changed anything you do or use in the coop? Cleaning schedule? New lighting outside that has changed their behavior? Does the door usually close before or after sunset? Chickens are usually creatures of habit, have you tried placing them back in the coop at night. They may just need to be "reprogrammed".

Back
Top Bottom