Herbs and other table scraps

Alycat23

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
I've seen a good amount of mention about people giving herbs to their chickens. Is this simply a treat or does it actually have health benefits? I grow them in my garden, so they may be sampling when they're roaming anyway. What about other table scraps....how do I know what's ok?

I have a list - what chickens can and cannot eat. As we give them allowed items, we cross off things they don't like. As for herbs, I grow parsley, cilantro, rosemary and multiple basils. They have only had the Basil so far - my list says "benefits the immune system". Oregano says "excellent for immune health and can use as a water additive". It does not list parsley or rosemary for eating but I have read of folks using rosemary in the nesting boxes.

I have a list - what chickens can and cannot eat. As we give them allowed items, we cross off things they don't like. As for herbs, I grow parsley, cilantro, rosemary and multiple basils. They have only had the Basil so far - my list says "benefits the immune system". Oregano says "excellent for immune health and can use as a water additive". It does not list parsley or rosemary for eating but I have read of folks using rosemary in the nesting boxes.
oooo...i like the idea of rosemary in the nesting boxes. beats the stink of chicken poop in the coop!

I grow mint around my run and sometimes toss some in the nesting boxes and in the coop.

I find my chickens don't have ANY interest in EATING the mint, but it smells nice and may help keep flies away.

I've seen a good amount of mention about people giving herbs to their chickens. Is this simply a treat or does it actually have health benefits? I grow them in my garden, so they may be sampling when they're roaming anyway. What about other table scraps....how do I know what's ok?
I give all of my chickens comfrey to eat, they love it and I think it has a protein level of 20-22 percent.

I would think that veggies and herbs have health benefits for chickens.

Most days I have leftover veggies for them whether it be peelings from veggies, herbs we know we won't finish off before they go bad, etc.

Ours love fresh cilantro and basil. They go crazy over ripe tomatoes, apples, cheese, plain yogurt, roasted chicken (make sure there isn't any onion/garlic seasonings first), scrambled eggs, seedless grapes, and don't forget the watermelon.

Reminds me of a funny story...my husband was grilling some steak for the 4th of July in the yard. He went to go put the last one on the grill and one of our chickens ran off and tore off a piece of the raw meat he was carrying from his marinading bowl to the grill lol. I didn't think they'd just steal raw steak like that, but it happened. My husband was upset about it. I thought it was funny. The chicken was flinging it around in the yard trying to get it into bite sized chunks. Kept that chicken busy for quite a long time.

Here is a helpful article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...—the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens.47738/

I tend to write a bunch of these down or print them off and stick them on the refrigerator along with a "no no" list so we don't forget.

I give my chickens table scraps everyday. They know what's ok to eat and what's not. Just about everything you eat is ok for your chickens. Lots of herbs are high in vitamins. Try looking up different benefits of herbs.

Back
Top Bottom