herbs as treats?

maggiegigs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
Someone posted that chickens like parsley. My garden is full of basil, chives and oregano. Since they will free range in my paddock where my garden is....are these herbs alright or are any toxic. My chickens are 18 weeks old pullets. Thanks a bunch!
big_smile.png

I have extra of most herbs. I either through several handfuls in the run... or line the nests with the herbs. I think they like them. Usually they don't eat the first, but after a while they will.

Mine devoured my extra parsley and cilantro this week. I might not give them chives due to the chance that it might make the eggs taste a bit oniony. Don't know whether they would like oregano or not - it has a lot of aromatic oils that are probably there to prevent herbivory. I would think that they would adore basil.

i've read that thyme and oregano can help keep the parasites at bay. so i've been feeding my girls a few sprigs everyday. they eat it with gusto. no idea if it will actually help, but it's not hurting.

My girls have free range of my herb garden (not by my choice
he.gif
). They don't pay attention to my: basil, oregano, marjoram, tyme, lovage, sage, camomile, lavender, lemon balm, mint or summer savory. They love my chives and parsley and dill. I think that what they'll eat is, in large part, determined by the number and amount of different options they have. When there is plenty of their favorite things, why bother with anything else?

Quote:
Interesting.!
I have wire net down so they can not dig in the herb garden but they can eat the tops of anything they want. They killed the tyme,, picked it clean. Do not touch the lavender, mints, lemon balm or chives. Occasionally take a nibble of rosemary or marjoram.

To the OP, IMO chickens know what to eat and what not to eat.. The herb garden should be fine.

ON

Back
Top Bottom