Here is our attempt at reproducing the Oregon Gray Turkey

Harp Turkey Ranch

Songster
11 Years
Dec 18, 2008
McCleary, WA
A few years ago seen Porters Turkeys with the Oregon Gray and just had to have some. It is close but ??? This year we are going breed back again and see if we can get a true breeding flock. If we can't get the Oregon Gray we were thinking of calling the strain "Washington Gray"
big_smile.png
We will be selling a few of these eggs this year and poults.

This is a Jake about 5-6 months old in this picture weighs about 15-18 lbs. Probably about 3-4 lbs heavier now 3-4 months later..

2mrhdz6.jpg

2hfia9t.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking birds. What are the charecteristics of the Oregon Gray that seperate them from the other breeds, aside from a soft gray color? Are they meatier, better foragers, easier breeders and keepers?

Also what are the genetics behind the birds you are using to recreate the Oregon Gray?

Thanks in advance.

You are getting very close to the Oregon Gray. I would take that Jake and cross him back to either Oregon Gray hens or maybe a royal palm hen. And see what you come up with.
big_smile.png

Quote:
My friend has turkeys. They are not really hugable but they are not mean. I really like them.

Harp Turkey Ranch I think the Jake is very handsome.

You are getting very close to the Oregon Gray

Thanks I get the solid wings not the barring like Porters but all in due time.

I would take that Jake and cross him back to either Oregon Gray hens or maybe a royal palm hen

I have some of the F2 hens and 1 F3 hen that I'll be crossing him on this year. I'm hoping I can get the barring on the wings from the F2 cross and retain color from the F3 hen.

What are the characteristics of the Oregon Gray that separate them from the other breeds

That they are pretty much extinct. There is no known original breeds of the Oregon Gray left.

are turkeys as mean as they look?

No they just look vicious. They are pretty good at scaring strangers though. The all start strutting when new people come over.​

Last edited:
Someone on this forum has them too- snmpoultry I think

Yes he has the ones you can buy from Porters Turkeys when they are not all sold out. That is what we are shooting for. If Porters would only tell exactly how they bred them, but that is for them to know and me to keep breeding.​

Back
Top Bottom