Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Chicken eggs require totally different humidity than ducks and geese. 50 eggs at a time is a large number of eggs for someone brand new to incubating. Each type of egg has a different incubation length also. So lockdown would be rough at best doing all three at once.

It is best to run a forced air incubator and a still air hatcher. This way you do not dry out the hatchlings with the fan running when they pip externally.

I love my Brinsea Eco for duck eggs, even ran some messed up shipped goose eggs in them. Our main bator is a cabinet though, and adding a second before next years season starts. Once will be three racks of goose eggs, one will be three racks of duck eggs. The Brinsea Eco will be for the few chick egg we set.

The Brinsea Eco will hold 24 eggs and very full proof as far as set up and running.
The new GQF styro with fan will hold like 45-48 eggs (not goose total) and are very well liked.

Your local climate will dictate your set up some also.

We live in FL, with high relative humidity. So we run what is called dry incubation. Trying to keep the humidity between 22-30% for all eggs during incubation.

Chicken eggs it is raised to atleast 70% at lockdown, the eggs are not turned any longer and they stay like this until all hatch, or 1 day post the expected due date.

Ducks run the same except they are misted once a day beginning day 10 until lockdown, humidity raised to 75%+ at lockdown for them.

Geese require hands on attention all through the hatch process. They are not a set and walk away until lock down. We have auto turners that rock side to side around the clock. I also hand turn 180* once a day. Beginning day 7 I start cooling and misting 15 a day until day 14/15 then it is increased to 20/30 minutes because of our climate here. Drier climates don't follow the same cooling system I do. It is the only way to get proper weight loss and air cell development here.

When jumping into artificial incubation you have to accept upfront there will be losses, and figure out how much financial and emotional investment you want to put in.

Erin, I use 2 LG still airs... one for cooking and one for hatching. I have done 2 goose hatches. Of the eggs that developed by day 7.... I hatched 4 of 6 the 1st time and 4 of 5 this last time. Your egg is scheduled to hatch in 10 days (I will personally hatch that precious baby from start to finish, if I have to!!) and I have 3 of 4 buff dewlaps going strong on day 17.

I hate to say it, but the two surprise eggs never developed and both had detached somewhat ruptured air cells. I may want to try a test with you (at my cost), if you want, but I hesitate to commit to setting new eggs (of any kind) at this point in the season. But, I want to see if you sent eggs pre-candled to determine intact air cell, then individually packaged with fat end up ... if I received them with intact cells and then got a higher percentage to develop like the other goose eggs with intact cells I have received from other places. It just makes me curious to see a before/after situation.

Erin, I use 2 LG still airs... one for cooking and one for hatching. I have done 2 goose hatches. Of the eggs that developed by day 7.... I hatched 4 of 6 the 1st time and 4 of 5 this last time. Your egg is scheduled to hatch in 10 days (I will personally hatch that precious baby from start to finish, if I have to!!) and I have 3 of 4 buff dewlaps going strong on day 17.

I hate to say it, but the two surprise eggs never developed and both had detached somewhat ruptured air cells. I may want to try a test with you (at my cost), if you want, but I hesitate to commit to setting new eggs (of any kind) at this point in the season. But, I want to see if you sent eggs pre-candled to determine intact air cell, then individually packaged with fat end up ... if I received them with intact cells and then got a higher percentage to develop like the other goose eggs with intact cells I have received from other places. It just makes me curious to see a before/after situation.

I can do that...just let me know when to test.. They are still laying hardcore.. I will also dbl. box them like Celtic advised to see if that helps also...

I am reading Pete's thread and either I am not getting it, or maybe I'm not qualified to hatch these by hand..This seems more challanging then I thought... or maybe I'm just over thinking it...
hmm.png

Hi Erin, I know what you mean. I guess I'm using Pete "lite". I keep the eggs at 99, take them out for 15-30 minutes (less at first, more now) spray them and wait, before returning them. I've makred air cells. Thats about it. Its like a cross between my usualy duck routine, with a few goose tweaks.

I'd be interested in your test too. None of the last 3 ever started at all, but I think you may have read that before. I've noticed a definate connection between fat end up eggs only success (um, both who packed that way had 100% embryo development and continue to develope) vs on sides. Your eggs, a old english guy, and my giant pekings all were packed on their sides, and all had less than 50% embryo development, and so far less than 25% make it to the last week, and even fewer hatch so far. I'm telling you, its better that way. I won't ever waste my eggs shipping them any other way. I'd reather just keep them and spare their lives or eat them.

Okay so I'm using a still air.....check
Temp needs to be 102....check
Mark 2 of the sides to indicate sides....check Humidity 45-55......check

Now do I have to weigh them all the time like you all do? Or can I just let them grow as they grow?? How often do I need to mist them? I think I just need one of you experts to call me..
lol.png
and walk me through the start process..

Erin, my first set was completely hands off. I did not know any better and just sat back and watched the 4 that had positioned properly hatch out fine while the 2 that were positioned wrong did not make it. I was lucky to have Pete holding my hand during the critical stage of the hatching process on a previous thread for the first one hatching. I posted lots of pics there. I can try to find that thread for you, if you want to read it.

This last hatch, I knew two were in trouble and in my attempts to save them (I did save one, by the way), I shrunk wrapped the others that had externally pipped and turned it into a difficult hatch by hand to save the others. I posted all sorts of in process steps while I was living it on the duck hatching thread. If you search back to last Friday night/Saturday morning, you will find all of my posts. Otherwise, I can post a few pics here of what I went through.

Sounds good Erin. Let me think about when would be a good time to perform the test. I really want to confirm good air cells and development for you, with proper pre-sending candling and different packaging!

Hi Erin, I know what you mean. I guess I'm using Pete "lite". I keep the eggs at 99, take them out for 15-30 minutes (less at first, more now) spray them and wait, before returning them. I've makred air cells. Thats about it. Its like a cross between my usualy duck routine, with a few goose tweaks.

I'd be interested in your test too. None of the last 3 ever started at all, but I think you may have read that before. I've noticed a definate connection between fat end up eggs only success (um, both who packed that way had 100% embryo development and continue to develope) vs on sides. Your eggs, a old english guy, and my giant pekings all were packed on their sides, and all had less than 50% embryo development, and so far less than 25% make it to the last week, and even fewer hatch so far. I'm telling you, its better that way. I won't ever waste my eggs shipping them any other way. I'd reather just keep them and spare their lives or eat them.

Okay! AND BOOOO to the last 3 eggs!!! Seriously in 3yrs of shipping the goose eggs NO ONE advised me to wrap them differently. Some one could have said something...you'd think..I'm glad and thankful ya'll let me know what I was doing wrong!
bow.gif
I want everyone to have happy hatching not dissappointments! I have never incubated Goose eggs we just let the mother do it. I have done peacocks and chickens for 5yrs.. I don't know why I'm overthinking this...lol

Back
Top Bottom