Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

R4eboxer- I keep my humidity at 30-45%, I think 10% is too low, but I'm not an expert lol.

Thanks, I thought it was too low, I am only going to add a little water. Every time I fill the first tray the way the hova bator instructs me to do my humidity goes to 80-90 percent. Then I have to take it all apart and soak up the water until I get it back to the correct amount.

TIA IS HUGE....................
ep.gif

My goodness you've all been busy and all this talk of Dewlap hatching eggs too
wink.png

We've had some good news and out of the 3 Buff Africans we set the last laid is showing fertile so thats the Gander proven at last. Not unexpected as the goose was bred 2011 and waiting for the older female to start laying. However we've another 3 so far but I'll wait for more till I set them. It looks like we may get a result from them this year.

On the other plus side one of the Buff Dewlaps started laying so we'll collect a few before incubating. These are run as a trio so we can expect 100% Buff offspring.

Its never easy buying Dewlap Toulouse hatching eggs but always remember to look at the parents so you'll have an idea how they may turn out. They're slow to develop fully and dont look their best until they're about 3 years old. However even young birds should show some dewlap and keel development. Here's some pics of some of ours;

DJ - PICTURE TAKEN AT 16 WEEKS AND ALREADY VERY BIG IN SIZE.

LINCOLN - PICTURE TAKEN AS AN 8 MONTH OLD GANDER

TIA - OUR BUFF DEWLAP GOOSE THATS JUST STARTED LAYING.

I got everyones eggs sent out today, hopefully they all arrive at the same time..
fl.gif
I will watch this thread like a hawk..I hope those babies make it safe and sound!!

On another note, the other night I was gone and I had asked DH to put the geese up from free ranging all day. I came home and there they all were loose. We had company so I looked at him and said "Why are my Geese not put up?" Knowing that he is a chatty kathy, I figured he forgot. He and the others proceed to tell me they tried herding them into the pen with no success..and had to go get flashlight to see if they could find the others, so they gave up.

I then walk to the edge of the patio, and yell DAISEY!!!!! They all started honking at me and flew to my side..
lol.png
I then walked to the pen (with them following me) and stood by the gate and waited for them to walk in. No chasing required!

Needless to say DH was not impressed that they love me and not him, since the geese idea was HIS!! He and the company laughed and shook their hands in amazment! It is nice to show off my birds abilities once in a while...I wish I had a video of those ppl herding my geese..
cool.png

Hi Iain & Celtic
frow.gif

How is everyone today. Glad to hear you've got a chance to maybe get those dewlaps. So, why don't you tell me about the geese you two convinced me to join you in hatching? How big do they get? I gotta run, but if there are pics of the parents, we'd all probobly like to see that.

C u later

Marty, my weebly.com site at the bottom of my page has photos of some of the geese last yr. As soon as the yard gets greener I will post better ones! It is so brown and not pretty right now.

Erin, great story! Sorry you cannot tempt me... with the eggs i just bought from you, my bators will be full for a while... Unless they were fatty dewlaps, then I'd have to toss a few eggs to make room. ;)

Back
Top Bottom