Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

There is so much different and conflicting information out there its crazy! You have die hard high humidity believers vs the lower humidity, the temp differences, etc.
barnie.gif

It's hard to know what is right without the experience, which I certainly don't have yet. But I'm trying! lol. As soon as the bator gets back to normal temp I will check top, mid, and bottom temp of the eggs. I turned them at 8 this morning temp and everything was fine, and just checked on them at 11 and saw the temp reading was only above 70!!!! I found it had come unplugged!! So I'm completely freaking out and worrying if it has killed my babies. I don't know how long it was actually unplugged for. Somewhere between 8-11....and I'm sure the culprit was our senior dog who likes to lay under the table where the bator is sitting. Needless to say that issue has been fixed already. I moved the chairs so she can't get back there now.

it's the egg temp inside that matters most. only 3 hours max so they should be ok.

candle when you can and keep a close eye on them. and breath we all forget that,lol

it's the egg temp inside that matters most.  only 3 hours max so they should be ok.

candle when you can and keep a close eye on them.   and [COLOR=0000FF]breath [/COLOR] we all forget that,lol

Thanks for the info! How do i determine the inside temp? I sure hope they're ok. And yes you are right...gotta breathe and not be too anxious!

there are things you can use... there are actual fake eggs hooked to temp gages a water weasel toy you can stick a thermometer in, i've heard of someone useing the bulb thing you suck out a baby's nose with
idunno.gif
real think to remember is that they will lose heat slower then the air around them.

Don't get too upset about power outages. At day 6 with this current hatch, my battery backup failed and I wasn't home. The incubator temp was down to 70. This would have been for almost 8 hours. I did not have any problems with the geese at all. It may have hurt the already scrambled chicken eggs I had in there from shipped eggs but I still hatched 8 of 9 geese. Geese eggs have a lot of stuff inside the egg so it would take even longer for the internal temp to drop than a smaller egg.

I use the baby bulb thing and it seems cheap and works well. I learned this from a call duck breeder and haven't had any problems. I've done lots of research and there are water weasels and such that would do the same thing. Thing to remember is whatever you find that works for you, stick with it. If your just beginning, relax and breathe...you'll end up stressing too much. Just pick a technique and try it. If it doesn't do as well as you thought it should have then try a different one. It helps to learn on your own eggs before jumping into eggs that you have spent a good deal of money on.

I had a power outage for a few hours when I was incubating my last set of goose eggs and the temp dropped pretty low. They hatched out fine.

I accidentally left the top off my incubator for about three hours a few days ago. I was so scared that I had killed my babies! (5 African-buff pom crosses) I only lost one egg so far. And that is because it was a double yolker.

P.s. Hope you don't mind me jumping in last minute! :D

all the help is welcomed... I just started hatching myself and silly me started with geese... now i'm lost trying to do chicken eggs with a turner
lau.gif

I accidentally left the top off my incubator for about three hours a few days ago. I was so scared that I had killed my babies! (5 African-buff pom crosses) I only lost one egg so far. And that is because it was a double yolker.
P.s. Hope you don't mind me jumping in last minute!
big_smile.png

Hi Chikn and chik,

I too left my lid off of the incubator when I was cooling my eggs and they were just fine. It is scary when you aren't sure if it affected your babies. I am sure they are okay. just go with the flow.

Evening all.

Kawonu if the crows will stop stealing the SA eggs all would be good. I feel badly, but we have had to net their run to stop the egg theft. May take you up on getting a few more Buff Pom.

Iain, got your PM will respond shortly.

I am a firm believer in watching the eggs and letting them tell you when they are ready for lock down. I am also a firm believer in low humidity during incubation and raising it at lockdown. Following these simple rules has always yielded me 90-96% hatch rates on call duck eggs. So far with geese I have lost 1 that was a wrong end pipper, all others have hatched strong and done very well. If it grows I can hatch it using those simple guides.

So here is a funny for you Marty & Iain. Guess what showed up today for me to pick up from the PO? The missing March 7th box of eggs. See the picture below of the box. It's no wonder it never arrived on time, it's marked ground transport only, along with the insurance and DC stickers from the PO. The eggs are a mess too, of course wouldn't expect them to be in good shape after who know where they have been.

Lesson for egg shippers, don't ever have the PO mark a box ground transport only, they won't arrive in time to be incubated.

511c2dfd.jpg

In other news, we are about to go into the large egg set from the 29th lockdown. Will be checking the eggs to see which are ahead and which will be a day more.

Back
Top Bottom