Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

igotgoosed... day 25 is typically the day that duck babies will begin internally pipping. Since a lot of people are not confident with candling and verifying internal pip, it is easier to just lockdown on that date. Goose eggs take 30-31 days to hatch and internal pipping occurs closer to day 28. So, if you are unsure about verifying internal pip, lock down on that date. But don't lock goose eggs down on day 25.
wink.png

Ok, so to be on the safe side since I haven't seen internal pipping before, I should just lock down on day 28? Is that when I raise the humidity too?

we quit turning when they are heavy on one side and have dipped and dont lockdown until externally pipped quote Petes Guide "The chick has now externally pipped and has access to free air to meet its respiration needs. It is only at this point do I change incubation conditions. I try to lower the temperature about 0.5C and increase the humidity to 65-75% (lockdown)." has been working great for us

Ok, so to be on the safe side since I haven't seen internal pipping before, I should just lock down on day 28? Is that when I raise the humidity too?

when in dought do it on the days mentioned for what your hatching..... kinda like packing the bag for the hospital when your 6 months pg knowing full well that human babies normally take 9 months
thumbsup.gif
my take on it anyway!

I will add a caveat to Sue's post... if you are in a super dry climate and running your bator fairly dry, it may be better to raise humidity before the actual external pip to avoid shrinkwrapping. I learned that lesson the hard way with my duckling hatch.

Thanks for the info guys! I hope this all turns out well. So far so good. My goose has 3 more eggs in her nest and seems to have quit laying. She has laid an approximate total of 25 eggs and this is her first year. She started laying really early, mid February actually. She had 13 eggs in her nest and we had a freeze which killed them all as she was not sitting yet. That's when I decided to intervene and purchase the incubator and start doing it. It has since warmed up so freezing temps aren't a worry anymore, so I was going to try to let her hatch some. But...I think shes done. I'm not seeing as much "activity" with her and the ganders (yes, 2 ganders and one goose. They get along great surprisingly!) and she hasn't had a new egg in 3-4 days. All in all I say she's done well for her first year, considering she isn't even a year old yet! So, I guess I will be adding 3 more in the bator. At least these 3 will be the same date. I don't think I'll do such a staggered set as the first 4 again.

we started with staggered hatches about a week apart.... I really think I'm gonna try to stay to aleast 10 days after this and no more setting singles,lol

Thanks for the info guys! I hope this all turns out well. So far so good. My goose has 3 more eggs in her nest and seems to have quit laying. She has laid an approximate total of 25 eggs and this is her first year. She started laying really early, mid February actually. She had 13 eggs in her nest and we had a freeze which killed them all as she was not sitting yet. That's when I decided to intervene and purchase the incubator and start doing it. It has since warmed up so freezing temps aren't a worry anymore, so I was going to try to let her hatch some. But...I think shes done. I'm not seeing as much "activity" with her and the ganders (yes, 2 ganders and one goose. They get along great surprisingly!) and she hasn't had a new egg in 3-4 days. All in all I say she's done well for her first year, considering she isn't even a year old yet! So, I guess I will be adding 3 more in the bator. At least these 3 will be the same date. I don't think I'll do such a staggered set as the first 4 again.

I have Amy's eggs and I have to say that she packs them very well! I have weighed them and marked them. She sent me six big eggs and they are beautiful. I have to say that the shipping is terrible this year. The tracking showed where she sent them and never showed where they went after that. My postal people were on the lookout for them as I gave them head's up and they called me at 6:30 this morning to let me know that they arrived. I will be starting them tomorrow along with eleven of my own eggs.

The eggs I started on 3/05 have lost 75% of the weight that they are suppose to lose so they are on track for a good hatch. I hear you psue. I am tired of staggered hatches myself and I am trying to leave enough eggs in the nest that maybe one of my geese will go broody and sit on them without me having to incubate. The silly things all share the one nest and the other evening two were in the nest sitting on it together. It is in the mid 80's here in the day time and at night in the mid fifties. Maybe it will get warm enough that the eggs will hatch themselves, lol.

I have Amy's eggs and I have to say that she packs them very well! I have weighed them and marked them. She sent me six big eggs and they are beautiful. I have to say that the shipping is terrible this year. The tracking showed where she sent them and never showed where they went after that. My postal people were on the lookout for them as I gave them head's up and they called me at 6:30 this morning to let me know that they arrived. I will be starting them tomorrow along with eleven of my own eggs.

The eggs I started on 3/05 have lost 75% of the weight that they are suppose to lose so they are on track for a good hatch. I hear you psue. I am tired of staggered hatches myself and I am trying to leave enough eggs in the nest that maybe one of my geese will go broody and sit on them without me having to incubate. The silly things all share the one nest and the other evening two were in the nest sitting on it together. It is in the mid 80's here in the day time and at night in the mid fifties. Maybe it will get warm enough that the eggs will hatch themselves, lol.

I hear you about the temperatures... I'm just north east of KC, no winter to speak of at all. I've collected all the goose eggs this year I'm going to I've got Fred in the pen she's going to stay in and she's still laying. I hope she goes broody and hatches some. I'm not sure I want Emdens they are soooo big, But daughter named Squishy before he hatched so the idea of keeping him has crossed our minds. Just candled the goose eggs... the set from 2/29 are shadowing and the set I just put in on the 24th has 4 showing development already. Now these are going to be about right get one set hatched as the next gets started really good
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom