Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Celtic, you should just hatch out some babies, and send me a mix so I can stop going to all this trouble to get the right hens. (although I'd like to have true breeding lines, so I can sell chicks or eggs, over the course of the summer.) I don't know if my coppers will hatch, but I'll bring the link to show you. Maybe their lineage means something to you, because I never know the names, I just look for the best eggs I can ebay. Someone here on BYC is listing 15 special black copper marans chicks, and they are up to $125 allready, plus shipping on top.

I have some Khakis purchased from a man who got his from Metzers 3-4 years ago, according to him. Until I got to this thread, I didn't really think or worry about where they came from. I have several strains from different production flocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33071029104...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1287 here is link to black copper marans eggs I bought, with the names of where the birds came from.

Honestly on those BCM? Great, no fantastic egg color. The roo has major faults in his comb and feathers though. The bloodlines names are pointless with BCM as two of the three haven't released eggs or stock for years to anyone. So they aren't either of their bloodlines, they are birds from a bird, from a bird who may have been from those lines.

When our son picked this breed I had no idea of the issues they have before it was too late and we were deep into eggs and culling bad chicks.

Anyone just wanting a pretty basket of eatting eggs I say go for it and don't worry about standards and faults.

However if you are wanting to breed and sell hatching eggs and chicks then you must educate on the breeds issues, standards, and tread lightly when buying stock and eggs. This is also why we have reduced our pure bred chicken stock as well as call ducks and are more focused on the geese and one breed of pure chickens.

Alot of breeds, in geese, ducks, and chickens have major faults. What I don't get, is how they got all these faults :/

Some are naturally occurring and you breed away from them. Some are from humans making breeding mistakes and or crossing breeds looking for a darker eggs or new feather color. Some are from sub par birds being bred together for generations by people who either don't care what the results are or by people who just don't know. Unfortunately many are those who don't care and are in it for the quick buck on a hot breed or color.

Ah, I see. Many people just buy hatchery birds, and think if their pure breds, their good enough to breed. I personally don't think hatchery birds are even pure breds.

Hatcherys are causeing alot of the problems in most breeds, aren't they?

I don't want to sell many chicks, I'm an egg seller for the most part. (although I did toy with the notion the last two days) Bearing in mind all the problems you've correctly brought to light, i think I'll stay focused on eggs for eating, and maybe worry less about producing any useful offspring. Its too bad the BCM's are so problematic. I'm in love with their eggs, and wouldn't mind a pure flock, but since they are so problematic, I guess I'll just steer clear of anything more than egg producing ideas.

IYO what would be some good choices for a person like myself, who would only be able to focus on the one breed, but it would be best for our place if it were a heritage breed. I'm not at any place where I have my mind made up about a duck or chicken. (I don't think I'd have space or inclination to follow geese that far)

No not always, that would be like saying all dark cola is the same.

HWF is a hatchery

ideal is a hatchery

They don't produce the same quality of bird

Hatcheries serve a purpose in providing cheaper stock for eating eggs from birds of various species and colors. An APA standard meeting or show quality bird they are not.

Marty, buckeyes are very nice birds as are welsummers. I am not fimilar with as severe of issues in feathering or combs in them. Of course you can't go wrong with Orpingtons (not a heritage breed but nice).

Buttercups are making a come back.

When dealing with breeds such as heritage I would go right to the breed clubs site and become a member of the breed you want to focus on. Then ask for an established breeder to mentor you and help you select eggs to hatch or stock to buy.

If you want Wyandottes I would send you to PaulsPoultry here in Florida. Ameracuana I would send you to Pips&Peeps, korfusKluckers, or CrystalCreek. It's all about reading and spending time getting to know the issues in a breed and then asking for help from those who are dedicated to the breed.

Hey Chikn!! Got an update for us?????????
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom