Here we go again...

Coco

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
Hi all. I have had a difficult morning. Just asking for your thoughts and prayers right now. Went out to feed the horses/goats this morning...found my sweet little 4 mo buckskin filly w/a very nasty eye infection. The bottom of her eye lid was filled w/puss and there was a flim over some of her eye, her bottom lid was pulled down slightly showing the pink and top lid was swollen. What a mess. I called the vet right away, I had hopes it wasnt anything major as I tend to be a little over anxious and concerned w/my animals in the past. However this time the vet was very concerned and although he couldnt make it out to my place to take a look at her, he's sending his partner in a hour or so. He said it could be that she punctured her cornia which would be bad news for her sight...or on the upside it could be that there's some dirt or something in there. I'm just praying that's all this is.

I tell ya, this little girl has been through hell and back a couple times already in her very short lifetime. I've posted about her before on here...she was born w/low immunity levels, had to be isolated for the first 6 wks of birth...it was a bumpy road...she's been very ill a couple times, she finally was at a place where she was putting on good weight and growing like a little weed these days. And now this. Ugh! I've been a worried sick mess since the day she was born...and of course she's the sweetest most loveable baby in the world, so cooperative, tame and sweet tempered (just like her mom.) So just wanted to vent mostly for my sake...cross your fingers for us, I'll post an update once we find out what's going on!

Wishing the little sweetie all the best. PLEASE, God, let it be something minor!!!!
fl.gif

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your filly
fl.gif

I sympathize with everything happening to the sweet ones...I try not to have favorites at work it always seems to jinx them. This past season out of the 87 mares we foaled out, my favorite red bagged and we lost the foal, the season before I was all excited about an expected foal, I had rubbed the mare at the track for 1/1/2 years, she ended up with a stillborn.
hit.gif

Sounds like pinkeye to me...I would put some Neosporin on it or some Biomycin and squirt it in the eye. With the flys we are having a time of it here with the cattle. Hopefully that is all it is or a piece of dirt that hass irrated it. I would try the meds on it and see if that helps. My mare did the same thing a few yrs ago and this was what I did for her and it helped and cleared it up. Good luck

I just had my mare mule at the vet a few days ago. She had a swollen eye and lots of white discharge. He put a stain on it and it showed a puncture. He gave me some bute and eye drops. Within one day she was 100% better. The eye heals very rapid. I bet she will be ok. Keep us posted.
Never put any steriods in an eye injury unless a puncture or scratch is ruled out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom