Here we go for a staggered hatch starting the 7th

Painted Spirit

Songster
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Alrighty. Due to the blizzard sent our way I've got eggs due on the 7th, 9th, and 14th. I wanted to get a second incubator to hatch them out in but when I went to my local Tractor Supply all they had was a Little Giant. I love my Hova Bator! The plastic tray on the bottom is easy to clean and the water wells hold alot of water. The air holes are on the sides and out of the way of most of the mess. I took the LG out of the box, looked at it and put it back - it is going to the store tomorrow. Sunday night I ordered another HB. Now I'm doing a dance hoping it will be here before they start pipping! I took the extra racks out and put them in cartons. I'm hoping if they do hatch I can catch them and put them in my brooder before they get caught in the turner. I've got the humidity up to 65% and it goes down to 50 before I'm adding more water. Hopefully that will be a good enough balance for them and the week later chicks. I'm really impressed by the first batch of eggs, they are Buff Orps and I was sent 12 with 11 making it to lockdown! The next ones due are Delawares and after that are EEs that got lost in the Blizzard for a week....

43124_100_3381.jpg

I am going to have to do the same thing. Some of my eggs won't be here til Thursday and one group came 4 days early. This will be interesting. Your arrangement looks good.

Just a note - I got a great deal from reptilegeeks.com on a HovaBator 1602n. It was 39.99 and no charge for shipping!!! Ordered it Sunday, need it by Thursday. Tick, tick, tick....

edit - got the shipping bill LOL! They were closed on Sunday and Monday and now need money to ship. Silly me!

Last edited:
What lovely babies. I keep thinking of venturing into the world of hatching eggs. There are some breeds/colors I'd like that you just can't get from hatcheries. I just don't want to end up with a lot of roos. What do you do with all the roos you get?

So far I've been lucky and have one rooster and one hen each of LF Brahmas and Dominque. I did have some extra barnyard roos that I got as "starter chicks" that I was able to sell back to the local market to. Typically they go for $5 to $10 depending on size. I think Craigslist is a good option too.

I'm in a similar situation. I set 4 eggs due to hatch on the 7th. 2 Blue/green EEs and 2 Mottled Java's. Only 1 Egg made it to lock down. Knowing early on that 3 were quitters, actually never fertile as these were Supermarket experiment I ordered Delawares. I have 12 Delawares due to hatch on the 21st in the same incubator.

I have the Java in an egg carton same as you with the turners taken out. No pips or peeps yet. Someone who shall remain nameless but is the only blond 14yo in the house went to look and covered up the vent and humidity shot up to 81%. I had been keeping it at about 60% for the next 2 or 3 days while we had the hatch, then was going to drop it back down into the 30s.

Laney

It's a herd! Got 11 healthy happy chicks out of 12 shipped eggs in the cold of winter!

43124_100_3411.jpg

Can't wait to tell the seller and see what hatches next. Waiting on delawares due in two days and EE in 6 or 7. Putting 12 marans in..... I hope the other incubater makes it here quickly!

Quote:
With the trouble I had getting my humidity up earlier I be happy to see it at 81% LOL! You need to get one of those stay away from the incubator signs!

Back
Top Bottom