Here we go....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
My mum says she thinks they should have fresh plain water every now and again, but I'm afraid it will dilute it.
I don't have much of the treatment left. They keep spilling/dirtying it.
They are taken out every day so they can pick up grit.
I'm careful to take them to the dirt though every now and again as they like to stick to the grass.

My mum says she thinks they should have fresh plain water every now and again, but I'm afraid it will dilute it.
I don't have much of the treatment left. They keep spilling/dirtying it.
They are taken out every day so they can pick up grit.
I'm careful to take them to the dirt though every now and again as they like to stick to the grass.
He gave me 3.5 ml.
He said something about 1ml for two days and then repeat in a week? I was expecting a clear liquid, but it's white.
You gave them the mixed solution for 2 days correct? This medicated water was the ONLY source of water they drank during those 2 days - right?

According to the directions(?) the feed store guy gave you - you repeat in a week. When repeated, that should be the ONLY source of water they drink until you finish treatment.

Plain water in between those 7 days is fine.

If they keep spilling the water and getting it dirty, set the water station on a block about chest high so it doesn't get knocked over as easily and it's less likely to get dirt kicked into it.

The buff chick barely drank, and the cocci didn't go away after those two days were up. I was still seeing red. In fact, the buff was acting less like herself.
I was afraid they wouldn't be alive in a week.
I wedged it in a corner (and even taped it to the side at one point) but you don't know these birds. The Wyandotte has a mean kick on him.
Should I stop anyway, and possibly use the nutri drops in their water? I was wondering if the medicine would stop having an effect if they got too used to it.

Just been searching the internet for Coccidiosis treatments in England and Ireland. Everywhere is out.
The website Wyorp Rock posted is also out.
Only thing I found was on an Irish website, but I'll have to order tomorrow.
The places that aren't out will arrive in a few weeks. I can't wait a few weeks.
But the majority of places say it's not available.
Is everyone panic buying coxoid??

Oops! I just realized there is a photo of my roo 😂 I didn't deliberately post that, but it's raining and my screen is wet and not working correctly.
While I'm talking about him, he's a very handsome young man, isn't he? 🤣
Oh and I don't think I have electrolytes.
Yup! He certainly is a pretty boy! I have a soft spot for roosters. I don't cull. If I can't sell or rehome them, they stay in my bachelor flock, which currently numbers seven - from 11 months to three years old. Theirs is the prettiest, most entertaining run on the place. I LOVE "The Boys!"
Electrolytes are easy to make. I use them periodically throughout the summer, mainly as a boost because of the heat. They're also good to use when your birds need a little extra stress support - like when they're sick. There's a good video right here on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-electrolytes-for-the-hot-summer.1185957/#post-18721671

Just been searching the internet for Coccidiosis treatments in England and Ireland. Everywhere is out.
The website Wyorp Rock posted is also out.
Only thing I found was on an Irish website, but I'll have to order tomorrow.
The places that aren't out will arrive in a few weeks. I can't wait a few weeks.
But the majority of places say it's not available.
Is everyone panic buying coxoid??
Who knows what people are buying, these days? If there's even a hint of a rumor about something, it seems to disappear, these days. Amazon has Corid, but you can probably just pick up some medicated chick feed. Look for amprolium on the label. Manna Pro sells one, so does Purina and a lot of other companies. It's only a little bit more expensive than regular chick feed, but cheaper than buying meds - especially if no one around you has any!

I did read that medicated chick feed won't clear it up....it's a thought though.

Yup! He certainly is a pretty boy! I have a soft spot for roosters. I don't cull. If I can't sell or rehome them, they stay in my bachelor flock, which currently numbers seven - from 11 months to three years old. Theirs is the prettiest, most entertaining run on the place. I LOVE "The Boys!"
Electrolytes are easy to make. I use them periodically throughout the summer, mainly as a boost because of the heat. They're also good to use when your birds need a little extra stress support - like when they're sick. There's a good video right here on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-electrolytes-for-the-hot-summer.1185957/#post-18721671
We have never been able to cull. I haven't had tons of roosters, only 7 overall (not counting these current chicks. Two of my three chicks are boys too.) The roosters are the best. I have two 3 year old roosters now. Both BO. Considering starting a bachelor flock if all three are male! Pretty sure one is a girl, but at 5 weeks I'm not 100% sure. The other two have been definite males from week 2-3.
I get so excited about having new roosters lol.
I can't wait to see how these grow up. Which makes it even sadder if they die.

I did read that medicated chick feed won't clear it up....it's a thought though.

We have never been able to cull. I haven't had tons of roosters, only 7 overall (not counting these current chicks. Two of my three chicks are boys too.) The roosters are the best. I have two 3 year old roosters now. Both BO. Considering starting a bachelor flock if all three are male! Pretty sure one is a girl, but at 5 weeks I'm not 100% sure. The other two have been definite males from week 2-3.
I get so excited about having new roosters lol.
I can't wait to see how these grow up. Which makes it even sadder if they die.
No, medicated feed doesn't clear it up. I was just thinking that it would at least give them a little bit in their systems. The only that actually clears up Coccidiosis is the amprolium. That stuff works like magic, but only if you give it to them in time. If they're already acting lethargic, then you have days, not weeks. If they stop eating & drinking, you have hours, not days. The other thing to consider is that, if your chicks have it now, it's in your soil and they can continue to get it every time their systems are stressed - too cold, too hot, egg laying, all sorts of issues can trigger it. Your best bet is to bite the proverbial bullet and get the medication now. the concentrates - both liquid and powder - keep a long time, so you will have it on-hand in your poultry first aid kit. Pretty much any experienced poultry keeper will tell you that you need it on hand. Period.
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom