Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Here is the latest issue of Exhibition Poultry magazine. It has a bunch
of sources for those show dates and finding names of breeders.
http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/downloads/EP 5-04.pdf
Best,
Karen

Karen, Surreal. Truly. I didn't know that anybody in my part of the state had any interest. Just no knowledge. I find an APA or ABA judge 5 minutes away from me in Haughton La. Jerry McCarty. I will call and see if he wants to chat about breeds. If he doesn't, that's ok, I'll be getting my feet wet.
tongue2.gif
Thank you so much.

I think that Duane Urch is in your neck of the woods. I don't know if he has these birds or not. I'm sure someone has a link to his operation and can post it for you.
Jpranch, Mr. Urch sells show quality bantam silver penciled rocks and silver penciled large fowl through Stromberg's show quality day old chicks. I cannot lay my hands on my 2014 list just now.

Quote:

I knew we would be cutting it close. So long as we get a quart/day, that's enough to keep our 2 daughters in good milk. My wife and I may have to cut back, and the butter, and sour cream will be gone for a while, possibly the yogurt too. But a free beef to raise the way we want is worth it.

Quote:

I don't know why we didn't think of have some replacer on stand-by. Of course we'd prefer them all drink mama's milk 100% of the time, but I feel better knowing we would have a fall-back.

Quote:
I only heard about the A2/A2 just before we bought our Jersey. Isn't it amazing what has happened to the genetics of milk since big dairy got started. We're going to get our Jersey and her daughter tested for A2/A2 soon. We've also found a bull that's supposed to be A2/A2 as well for future breeding, but we'll wait for the results on him to make sure.

Quote:
I only heard about the A2/A2 just before we bought our Jersey. Isn't it amazing what has happened to the genetics of milk since big dairy got started. We're going to get our Jersey and her daughter tested for A2/A2 soon. We've also found a bull that's supposed to be A2/A2 as well for future breeding, but we'll wait for the results on him to make sure.
You are very fortunate. .. very few Jersey are A2/A2.

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/849075/heritage-large-fowl-phase-ii/5340#post_13216895 layout=inline]

I guess I am forced to agree... bluh! LOL

But I can't agree without saying that I milk only cattle and sheep... You couldn't pay me enough to own a goat or to drink goats milk - is just gross. There is no better milk as far as taste or quality than sheep's milk imo but... We like butter so I milk A2/A2 cows too. ;-) (admittedly a bias opinion from the person who owned the first licensed sheep dairy in the southeast and who knows how much hellbender loves to banter. ROFL)[/CONTENTEMBED]

Google "The Devil in the Milk"
Milk that isn't homozygous A2 has been linked to many health problems including autism. It is a controversial topic for 2 reasons: a) the A2 Corp who developed the test also did the research so many folks are critical of that, and b) most commercial dairies in the US consist primarily of Holstein which are rarely A2/A2. That means most store bought milk is... Not what you want. Course imo all store bought milk is gross, we drink only raw, but that's a different topic related to pasteurization, not proteins.
All sheep are A2/A2 and I purposely breed only homozygous A2 cattle.

Quote:
Don't fear the 'High Quality' replacers...just do not go cheap. or Sheep
lau.gif
Most of the better beef farmers around here supplement they calves. Now you Heritage chicken folk, please do not get into an up-roar.

But it seems that the better quality beef these guys breed, the less milk the cows have to feed to the calves. So...Beef is more valuable than the cost of ...again now,... 'High Quality Replacer'.

Some use goat milk replacer....Perhaps I might have suggested it...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom