Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Geez Ron, I always thought the older we aged the more comfortable we are reaching outside the box-- or at least some of us are. I have always been intrigued by the fact that Don Schider has both buckeyes and brown leghorns . . . . that ws enough to start me thnking about leghorns in a new light.

Geez Ron, I always thought the older we aged the more comfortable we are reaching outside the box-- or at least some of us are. I have always been intrigued by the fact that Don Schider has both buckeyes and brown leghorns . . . . that ws enough to start me thnking about leghorns in a new light.
Yes, I suppose you're right but this, after 'encouraging' Jason to cancel his order of Austra-White pullets....makes me look a bit hypocritical or certainly feel it.

Mr. gjensen, I have been reading this thread for about a year and I have enjoyed it very much.

I just wanted to say I am sorry to hear of your illness, and I will keep you in my prayers. I do hope and pray they will find a cure for your illness!

I expect you are in retirement and want to enjoy the benefits of . . and Jason is delving into getting a business going. . . .
No, not really. These birds haven't been a 'business' since my parents died...7 months apart. I had my work all over the state and the chickens became a 'Glorified Hobby'. I kept it going as big as it was to satisfy long term customers plus they give me considerable relief of tension, just watching them.

I know this sounds wishy-washy but I'm thinking of asking Jason to go ahead and buy his ****** Austra-Whites if he wants 'em, that is TRULY wants them and not some 'mental org...'! I let an expert talk me out of them because he suggested they would shrink the overall size of our flock over time....I've always liked the large size of our NNs but now, I'm thinking, who really gives two hoops in hell, just how big these darned birds are? Not even me, anymore. Heck...I might just go a little crazier and order 75 pullets myself.
lau.gif
I suppose I'm truly insane...getting off here to call that dippin' hatchery.

lau.gif
My husband too enjoys the birds as R&R after a rough day working with the public. I can gage his day by how much corn he tosses out. CHickens are relaxing.

We do get to change our mind-- clearly you have been doing some thinking.

Have a weird question, I have a australorp hen (1st time broody) that became broody 3 days ago and I separated her from the flock and gave her own nest with eggs and she's sitting great. Only problem is I am expecting chicks next week in the mail and the broody hen is in the same room as the brooder when the mail chicks come in. Will she get confused and think the mail chicks are hers and leave the nest or will she think they're not hers and stay in her nest with the eggs?

Have a weird question, I have a australorp hen (1st time broody) that became broody 3 days ago and I separated her from the flock and gave her own nest with eggs and she's sitting great. Only problem is I am expecting chicks next week in the mail and the broody hen is in the same room as the brooder when the mail chicks come in. Will she get confused and think the mail chicks are hers and leave the nest or will she think they're not hers and stay in her nest with the eggs?

I think that will depend on the hen...it could go either way, depending on how strong her mothering instincts are and if she will react to their cries. It should be interesting to find out, so let us know how it all goes?
pop.gif

Mr. gjensen, I have been reading this thread for about a year and I have enjoyed it very much.

I just wanted to say I am sorry to hear of your illness, and I will keep you in my prayers. I do hope and pray they will find a cure for your illness!
That is very thoughtful and thank you very much.

I should not spoke so much of it, but it has come to be a big part of me. It has been a good lesson in not taking anything for granted.

Back
Top Bottom