Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

A dual breed question. One of the pullets has decided to go broody. Too early and I will deal with that....frankly, I don't mind much because she is keeping the eggs from freezing between gatherings, smile. but... Ok, until now all the pullets have looked the same when viewed from the front. They are 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 months old. Last night I went out to look at them again and one ( don't know if she is the one laying) has become wide in the breast when viewed from the front. It's really noticeable. Has this pullet suddenly matured? Does this happen when they start to go broody? All of them are laying so it can't be that, can it? Do females "let down" in the breast when they start to go broody? I know the internal organs swell when laying.  Can I be seeing this? However, the other girls are also laying and look the same as they did last week. No one is sick. This pullet just suddenly looks "mature". They all get the same feed and lodging.
 Thanks,
 Karen

I would suspect that the same hormones that caused her to feel broody could cause some physical changes as well. Just a thought..........

@ 3rc

In my birds I believe it's just a matter of feather position. They fluff up like a mini tom turkey in strut. It wouldn't hurt to pick her up and smooth her feathers and note the fleshing on the keelbone. Likewise check her condition towards the end of the brood period.

Last edited:
I about had a heart attack the first time I fed my flock scratch. Rock-hard baseballs protruding from their chests. Scary. But it was all of them, not just one. Is your hen bigger on one side of the chest?

Last edited:
I about had a heart attack the first time I fed my flock scratch. Rock-hard baseballs protruding from their chests. Scary. But it was all of them, not just one. Is your hen bigger on one side of the chest?

No. She seems fine. Just all of a sudden seems "chesty".
Maybe it is just the position of the feathers.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

No. She seems fine. Just all of a sudden seems "chesty".
Maybe it is just the position of the feathers.
Best,
Karen
I am going to try to scan and send you some English Sussex pictures. They are older pictures of a utility strain, but they have excellent Sussex type. Excellent examples of what Light Sussex should/could be.
I think that you will appreciate them.

I am going to try to scan and send you some English Sussex pictures. They are older pictures of a utility strain, but they have excellent Sussex type. Excellent examples of what Light Sussex should/could be.
I think that you will appreciate them.
Oh thank you so much! I tried to buy some English Sussex lit a while back but it all fell thru. My email is a3riverschick@ verizon.net if that helps.
Thanks bunches!
Karen

Took lots of photos at the Shawnee show....tried to get the BB and BV..will try to post them quickly.
There were a number of Heritage breeds exhibited in limited numbers although there were 2200 entries. The white Marans were a variety of sizes and types...guess we won't know the outcome of their SOP acceptance for a while.
Met Larry Dye and purchased two Black Cochin LF pullets from the show cages in the Junior show. He is a wealth of information on the Columbian Wyandotte and I'll be picking his brain this season.

Shawnee, Ok Show, Dec 14, 2013. There were a few breeds not represented in the large fowl and often the field was short on other breeds....3 - 5 birds per breed and/or variety. There were more representatives in the Bantam fields.

First, a few of the White Marans. There was a ful complement of 50 plus birds to represent the variety in their bid for SOP acceptance. Will say, There were some of the darkest eggs I have ever seen on the egg table. Bev Davis, respected Marans breeder was there. These photos of the Whites do not reflect the placers as I did not get back there to check them....so representative of the more stately looking birds.

As stated I tried to get the BB, BV, RV and Best in breed

Other Maran. The second cock had a note about "nice color on his cage tag. These two were BB, BV and RV

LF Cochins. first hen is RV...placing 1st

cockerel

Back
Top Bottom