Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

That was disingenuous. Hasn't anyone been reading the quotes I have been posting?
idunno.gif

These birds are only 6 months old. They aren't Langshans, Brahmas, or any other breed. They are Sussex.
This is an exciting event for Sussex fanciers and breeders.
clap.gif
A whole new strain for us to work with.
I don't understand why folk wish importers would bring in this and that breed...then when one does,
they diss it.
idunno.gif

There is a lot to work with in these birds. No bird is perfect. It's been a while since I have seen a breed jeered at
like this on this thread.
sad.png

It is not hard to bring in live birds if one is a registered importer like Greenfire. Read the Company history.
They are not the only importers either. Other companies import animals of all kinds all the time. Greenfire just
happens to specialize in poultry.
celebrate.gif
I feel sad that folk cannot see the potential in these birds.
sad.png
As I quoted earlier,
how they are mated and the prepotency in them from the blood of their ancestors is more important than the
individual bird's detailed phenotype.
smile.png

I think birds from this import would be best served if they were mated in small matings from each of the different
strains available in the US to see which ones nick best. Then move on from there. It is also possible they may do
best within a closed gene pool of their own strain. I think it will all depend on how closed a gene pool they came
from and how prepotent they are for breed type.
Best,
Karen
goodpost.gif

Well to me by the pics they aren't very good representatives of the breed I wouldn't use them in my project for sure. I would go as far as Kathy has done and re-make my own. Did you read what Walt said: "he saw better Lt.Sussex at the Cali. show this past weekend" maybe wise to check into who those are and get some seed form them. Greenfire is gonna make a mint off those through HYPE as always, and as I said through the gullible, unknowing and for sure greed(on both parties) if you ask me.   Another friend of mine said this too me on the phone the other night "they are just chickens" and too "this is not rocket science" and I agree with him. He has a very credible knowledge of poultry and the wins and birds to prove it.

Sorry Karen wasn't trying to ruffle YOUR feathers I threw that out there in general "its a cruel world out there in poultry/showville I should be your least worry for sure".

Jeff

Other than Walt's post this is the best post since those pictures were posted.

I hope and pray that Greenfire Farms never tries to import any of my breeds.

Well I am done on this thread for while. I think I need to spend some time elsewhere for while.
Everyone has their opinions. I prefer to see what's in the genotype before I judge. I know
phenotype is said to mirror genotype. I also know poultry have a slew of sex linked genes
which make the genotype less clear in
the phenotype than say dogs or cats.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Well I am done on this thread for while. I think I need to spend some time elsewhere for while.
Everyone has their opinions. I prefer to see what's in the genotype before I judge. I know
phenotype is said to mirror genotype. I also know poultry have a slew of sex linked genes
which make the genotype less clear in
the phenotype than say dogs or cats.
Best,
Karen
Excuse me...who says genotype is mirrored by phenotype? Genotype has a million secrets and each secret has it's own enigma.

I am feeling the same as you are Karen.

As I have read thru the p osts for the last day, I too have not enjoyed reading the digs. I had already noticed the absence of others too. But maybe that is the goal now of this thread.

I have Light Sussex. I also show my birds. I agree with Karen. It is new blood to work with and tweek into what i have now. They might have trits that I want and I'm willing to play with them to find out. I would buy a hen or two or three and some Roos too. Everyone has a breed that they get excited about. Light Sussex happens to be my breed of choice.
thumbsup.gif

On the Rhodebar topic, people who got pullets directly from them were laying green eggs. Please some one explain how a purebred rhodebar lays green eggs because I don't know.

Genotype is not linked to phenotype in Chickens - way to many genes at play. I am just really really cautious of them for reasons like the ones above (and "split silver sussex").

So for me again not that I hate them but I really really don't trust them and I think there birds are highly inbred. But interpret as you well. The Sussex were doing fine before the Austrialian line came, and will continue to do fine with out other lines, when we have large flocks like U of Alberta's and True North Hatchery's. Admittedly U of Alberta's Sussex could almost pass as a Colombian Leghorn - but that line has so much heteros in it you could pull a nice sussex out of it in two-three generations.

Just my opinion

I am feeling the same as you are Karen.

As I have read thru the p osts for the last day, I too have not enjoyed reading the digs. I had already noticed the absence of others too. But maybe that is the goal now of this thread.
My last post was in agreement with Karen. For any breed or race for that matter, ''new blood'' is essential...sooner or later.

Quote: I've been breeding horses and sheep for a loooong time. Chickens are any different. I've painted myself into a corner with inbreeding sheep. A lethel gene manifested itself. "New blood" was the solution.

The general theory is: genes + environment = phenotype. Karen may have been too upset to get the details right . . . not to speak for her, but to sympathize.

I too am taking a break from this thread, again.

I never said I blamed you only. I am just sad and confused why so many folk can't see the good in these imported Sussex.
I was serious about the Naked Necks. I don't know why they are that way and was asking.

Best,
Karen
We Orp people have seen the frenzy about imported birds.Anything imported was assumed to be great breeding stock, and very expensive.A lot of people have been burned in the frenzy for new blood, or new colors.Type makes the breed. I agree with Walt that those birds do not have bone, and have very tiny heads. Those two points would disqualify them from many serious
breeders' programs, as they are a sign of weakness in ANY breed. If those Sussex are as tightly bred as most imports are, they could have a disastrous influence on the breed in this country.

Back
Top Bottom