Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

He's a big boy for sure. I'm super pleased with the size he's showing, and has been huge since he hatched. I don't have any others hatched due to waiting on eggs, lack of fertility etc to compare him too, but can already tell due to leg diameter and proportions he will be solidly built, already looks to have a nice sturdy head too. I always feel stupid saying it, but he has an attitude that will lend itself well to the show ring too, you can always pick out the birds that will show well in the brooder. I've heard similar things from breeders in other species too.

They are excellent layers in my opinion. These are from a local gentleman that I'm adding as a second bloodline, and so even though I do not have adults from this line I do have some knowledge about the productivity of the line. Out of ~30 adults he is averaged 26-28 eggs daily. Non-lighted, so that means most of them are averaging 6 eggs a week and some are laying 7 a week. During the winter the hens took time off, but the pullets still delivered a few dozen a week even not lighted which makes me think that they would respond even better to lighting. I will be keeping close tabs on point of lay and lay rate on them. If I had a complaint about what I have seen from this line is being non-commercial birds, and of course being Buff having had other breeds introduced in the past they tend to lay a slightly tinted egg rather than the pure chalk white that some Leghorns do. Of course since I could care less about egg color, that is a very minor complaint.

I can't judge my other line because their growth rate was severely retarded via a late hatch and a non-lighted, cold harsh outdoor winter. They're likely about 2 months behind where they should be and are only now approaching point of lay despite being a July hatch. Their handling qualities indicate they should be great producers once they do start.

Thanks Matt...these are one of the few light breeds I could get into.

Thanks Matt...these are one of the few light breeds I could get into.

They're a fantastic breed, not sure why they're not more popular in any of the varieties, and I recommend them to anyone who wants a productive laying breed. When bred to Standard they're not small either, obviously not a heavyweight like my Langshans are, but larger than many realize if they're not used to them.

They're a fantastic breed, not sure why they're not more popular in any of the varieties, and I recommend them to anyone who wants a productive laying breed. When bred to Standard they're not small either, obviously not a heavyweight like my Langshans are, but larger than many realize if they're not used to them.

Maybe because the Leghorns have a reputation for being flighty
and not as calm and friendly as other breeds?
Are they as hardy as other Heritage Large Fowl or do they need coddling in adverse weather? Do they quit laying when they get scared? Do they make a good pet for children to hold and cuddle? All factors.

Last edited:
Maybe because the Leghorns have a reputation for being flighty
Are they as hardy as other Heritage Large Fowl or do they need coddling in adverse weather?

I think it's all in how you raise them. They are more active then other fowl certainly, but I would think those that range their birds would see that as an asset, while the "calm friendly" breed is being picked off by the predator it didn't even know was there, the Leghorn is hiding in a bush. From my point of view as someone who isn't constantly handling my birds, mine are every bit as calm as my other breeds (as adults anyway) so with handling they would calm down even more.

I don't coddle them anymore than my other breeds (which have a reputation as being very cold hardy). Which is to say nothing at all. My pens are covered, but are totally open air, even through our coldest weather. I think there's a lot of myths that go around, and people overcomplicate raising poultry, but that's another discussion. I think the frostbite concern with the Leghorns is partially fabricated due to the tendency of hatchery birds to have oversized combs (Standard calls for a medium comb, and I am sure it was written that way for cold hardiness). Short answer, the Leghorns are every bit as hardy as any other breed, if your housing lends itself to frostbite though you may want to consider rose comb Leghorns instead of single.

Last edited:
In addition to what BGMatt posted about frostbite, I think I've seen ample evidence that housing which is not properly ventilated or is allowed to get damp from other reasons during very cold weather is very liable to increase the chances of frostbite. JMHO

RON

In addition to what BGMatt posted about frostbite, I think I've seen ample evidence that housing which is not properly ventilated or is allowed to get damp from other reasons during very cold weather is very liable to increase the chances of frostbite.  JMHO

RON

Couldn't agree more. I think more health problems are caused by people coddling their chickens than anything else. It certainly influences my management practices. Coops are open air come cold, heat, rain or shine. Birds don't get medicated or vaccinated. I will treat for parasites. Litter is kept dry. Chicks are off heat at 6 weeks for most breeds (slow feathering asiatics are exempt and get til 8 weeks) and then never get heat again. They are fed a nutritionally complete and balanced ration. That's it. No heat lamps or extra protection from the elements. No house chickens. No aid given to birds with weak immune systems. No AI on breeders. No anthromorphizing.

Maybe because the Leghorns  have a reputation for being flighty
Are they as hardy as other Heritage  Large Fowl or do they need coddling in adverse weather?

I think it's all in how you raise them.  They are more active then other fowl certainly, but I would think those that range their birds would see that as an asset, while the "calm friendly" breed is being picked off by the predator it didn't even know was there, the Leghorn is hiding in a bush.  From my point of view as someone who isn't constantly handling my birds, mine are every bit as calm as my other breeds (as adults anyway) so with handling they would calm down even more.

I don't coddle them anymore than my other breeds (which have a reputation as being very cold hardy).  Which is to say nothing at all.  My pens are covered, but are totally open air, even through our coldest weather.  I think there's a lot of myths that go around, and people overcomplicate raising poultry, but that's another discussion. I think the frostbite concern with the Leghorns is partially fabricated due to the tendency of hatchery birds to have oversized combs (Standard calls for a medium comb, and I am sure it was written that way for cold hardiness).  Short answer, the Leghorns are every bit as hardy as any other breed, if your housing lends itself to frostbite though you may want to consider rose comb Leghorns instead of single.

I've only had my oldest hens 18 months & I decided this was the best practice. A hoop coop in WNY was fine for them. No drafts & everything stays dry. The only frost bite was on toes from stepping in water. We got down to -30 for several weeks off & on and all my birds did fine. No heat, no frostbite but very cold hardy birds :)

Oooo, look how WIDE their heads are! I really like those two!

Me too. I try not to have favorites early, and I try to remain neutral. I do think you can see some things very early though. I have high hopes for that young pair, they should do very well at the shows this fall I'm thinking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom