Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

Sort of like hanging a picture on a wall? That was simple! I was thinking of using large brackets or canterlevering something, but this is obiviously a lot simpler and easier.

Thanks.

Hi All! I have been lurking on both this thread and it's predecessor, and although I have tried to read every post I do have to admit to skipping a couple (hundred) pages in the middle of this one.... it updates WAY too fast to keep up when you're several hundred pages behind ;-) I have loved all the info I have gained, and love the discussions that have happened! Thanks for the posts.

I'm posting this question here because I figured it would be the best place to find someone to point me in the right direction. I am interested in getting involved in heritage birds- I have some (obviously non-heritage) that were from Tractor Supply, and although my hens are sweet and great layers the rooster is not sweet at all. I know that mean roos are a product of poor genetics and mass breeding and want to get away from aiding that industry.

I'm pretty open to several different breeds (Buckeye, Australorp, Orpington, Sussex, Wyandotte, New Hampshire), and although the list is long, it's more because I'm looking for a breeder relatively close than anything else. On the Livestock Conservancy page there are many breeders listed, but either they don't list the breeds I'm interested in or give me a different list by email than the page shows. Most are also so far away it's not even worth looking. I am located in the tri-state area of Ohio/PA/WV.

I'm sorry to ask what I know is a repeat question, and I would be more than happy to PM with suggestions, or even move this to a different thread :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Holly
Are you attracted to a color? or a breed shape? Do you need a particular comb type because of weather? These things would help you narrow your choices. Its good that you go with something close by. Better odds of finding a mentor. However, you need to pick something you are attracted to also. You want to like looking at it enough to stick with it.

Check out the website for this guy http://horstmanspoultry.com/ He's in PA. If you have any interest in Dorkings they need dedicated breeders. Just sayin! If you have an interest in them, not only are they available from Dick, but Craig Russell is also in PA. If you want a white chicken with a rose comb, Yellow House Farm has some really nice White Dorkings. He's out of your tri state area, but worth it. Do not pick an obscure color variety of any breed. Pick one of the original (dominate varieties) if there is more than one. For example Buckeyes. Only one color available. Means you have a better chance of getting good birds.

Jennifer

I would like to build some 2 foot by 3 foot cages for broodys and mount them in the main coop above the floor so not to take up floor space. I would like the mounting to be temporary and easy to put up and take down. I'm not much of a carpenter nor do I have a lot of common sense sometimes. Would you mind sharing how you did this. I have assumed that suspending the cage such that it moves/swings would not be agreeable to the hen. Thank you for your help.

Mark

I bought a huge pen unit from another person who showed Old English Game for 20 years and he was the builder/designer. I'll take a photo and post later, but he used steel tubing and welded everything together. He used corrugated plastic sheeting as the sides, so the birds can't see each other to fight. The bottom has two pieces of steel tubing with 1/2" metal hardware cloth sandwiched in between. It is all welded together and does not move. He put an incredible amount of work and detail into building these, along with 16 4' X 4 X 7' tall pens, all steel tubing frames. They are taller than necessary and a little small for my large fowl, but they are working for single male units or single pair mating pens. The wire bottomed cages have been incredibly useful. They are not a temporary mounting like what you want, though.

Sort of like hanging a picture on a wall? That was simple! I was thinking of using large brackets or canterlevering something, but this is obiviously a lot simpler and easier.

Thanks.
I have also used an empty wire rabbit cage, propped up on concrete blocks so the hen's behind is oh-so-exposed to fresh air. It does take up floor space, but I didn't hit my head on it like I might do with a hanging cage.
Angela

Here are photos of my wire bottomed cages that I use to break broodies and also to keep birds clean before a show. The builder of these used a large diameter piece of PVC with ovals cut in the top for each cage for water. It runs the entire length in the back with a drain outside. I don't particularly like it because it overflows when I am filling or cleaning it, probably because the land where this unit is situated is not exactly level. I want to change over to the cup system if I can ever get all the broodies out of there
roll.png

You can see he made good use of old signs for the dividers.

I realize there are a lot of good reasons to break a broody.

I do wonder sometimes, if it is not just as easy to take advantage of the problem and let them. At least for breeds known to be, and that should be.

I am not making a suggestion, or even taking any position. Just some thoughts I have had when the subject comes up.

Again, I get it. There is a reason that the trait has been selected against for so long. It does pose a management challenge and does interrupt production.

Here are photos of my wire bottomed cages that I use to break broodies and also to keep birds clean before a show. The builder of these used a large diameter piece of PVC with ovals cut in the top for each cage for water. It runs the entire length in the back with a drain outside. I don't particularly like it because it overflows when I am filling or cleaning it, probably because the land where this unit is situated is not exactly level. I want to change over to the cup system if I can ever get all the broodies out of there
roll.png

You can see he made good use of old signs for the dividers.

I like the cages, and it appears a variety of materials were put to good use.

I like the signs, and all of that white brightens the interiors up.

Are you attracted to a color? I am attracted more to penciled varieties or color mixes, not all the same color....

or a breed shape? I'm still watching to learn the different shapes.... Although, perhaps in answer to that I am more attracted to the dual purpose shape, not the 'sleeker' look of some of the purely egg layers.

Do you need a particular comb type because of weather? I had some problem with my (barred rock) rooster and frostbite this year, although I think it was simply a bad year for it around here...lots of days below 0 before windchill, so, perhaps smaller is better.

These things would help you narrow your choices. Its good that you go with something close by. Better odds of finding a mentor. That's kind of what I was hoping....:) However, you need to pick something you are attracted to also. You want to like looking at it enough to stick with it.

Check out the website for this guy http://horstmanspoultry.com/ He's in PA. If you have any interest in Dorkings they need dedicated breeders. Just sayin! If you have an interest in them, not only are they available from Dick, but Craig Russell is also in PA. If you want a white chicken with a rose comb, Yellow House Farm has some really nice White Dorkings. He's out of your tri state area, but worth it. Do not pick an obscure color variety of any breed. Pick one of the original (dominate varieties) if there is more than one. For example Buckeyes. Only one color available. Means you have a better chance of getting good birds. Awesome! Thank you!! I'm looking at the webpages and emailing now.

Jennifer
Like I said, I know the list was long, but this gives me a great way to start to narrow down. I am open to a lot of different breeds, and actually like the idea of helping a breed that is in need of breeders. That's why I started on the Livestock Conservancy page.... I grow heirloom seeds for the same reason. Thanks for the help finding a place to start. :)

Well good luck! Just as an FYI, if you get interested in Dorkings and come up short, call Craig Russell. He has no email or cell phone. You can find his number on the Web site for the SPPA. He knows a ton. He usually knows who has what. And he likes to share his knowledge.

On the other hand, there are a few on BYC who are pretty in the know also!

If you decide on a breed, let us know. Members are pretty good at finding sources.

Back
Top Bottom