Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

So I've been reading and I've been thinking and now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to best utilize my time, money and space. My plan is to have 4 breeding pens of 4 x 8. The divider of the elevated/enclosed roost area is removable. This gives me more flexibility. I just need it to stop raining so I can build. I've got one large general coop that is a multipurpose space and a hoop grow out pen for cockerels. I'm going to build a second of those so I have one for probable culls and another for keepers.

I've heard several on here use rotational clan mating. Which is probably how I'll go. But I've been told I can successfully use a rolling breeding strategy also. One method requires good paper work. They other less so. I'm not a statistically junky. I find keeping solid records rather a chore. That doesn't mean I can't do it well, just that I don't like to do it.

I'm trying to mentally feel my way along. I know that some people use many strategies. Initially that will just complicate things for me. I really need to use the KISS strategy, but I'm not sure I can see where the middle of the road is.

I want to breed good SOP Dorkings. The chicks that should show up any time now, give me a good start. I know its going to take time to get to know what I have and make it mine. I'm working on acquiring a complimentary line to the chicks I have coming. I'll start breeding later in the year, next year than I will like, but that is just the way it will be. My complimentary line may only be a pair. I'm trying to figure out how I will work them into my breeding strategy.

I'm hoping others on here will give me their input.

So I've been reading and I've been thinking and now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to best utilize my time, money and space. My plan is to have 4 breeding pens of 4 x 8. The divider of the elevated/enclosed roost area is removable. This gives me more flexibility. I just need it to stop raining so I can build. I've got one large general coop that is a multipurpose space and a hoop grow out pen for cockerels. I'm going to build a second of those so I have one for probable culls and another for keepers.

I've heard several on here use rotational clan mating. Which is probably how I'll go. But I've been told I can successfully use a rolling breeding strategy also. One method requires good paper work. They other less so. I'm not a statistically junky. I find keeping solid records rather a chore. That doesn't mean I can't do it well, just that I don't like to do it.

I'm trying to mentally feel my way along. I know that some people use many strategies. Initially that will just complicate things for me. I really need to use the KISS strategy, but I'm not sure I can see where the middle of the road is.

I want to breed good SOP Dorkings. The chicks that should show up any time now, give me a good start. I know its going to take time to get to know what I have and make it mine. I'm working on acquiring a complimentary line to the chicks I have coming. I'll start breeding later in the year, next year than I will like, but that is just the way it will be. My complimentary line may only be a pair. I'm trying to figure out how I will work them into my breeding strategy.

I'm hoping others on here will give me their input.

I do not think anyone can give you anything that will settle this for you. You are aware of some options, and it can be difficult to settle into what is best for you.

I think a point that is under emphasized is that families are or should be built on the merits of an individual or individuals. That is the whole point. To maximize the influence of a superior performing individual. That is what line breeding is about
Many will scoff at the idea of flock mating, but you can make improvements, just slower. And it does not mean that you cannot do side mating at the same time. Then when that individual is found that you think something of, you can build something that is grounded in the merits of that individual.

I tend to think that one of the considerations is how accessible is quality birds. The harder they are to come by, the deeper you may need to be. If a particular strain has some popularity, and you know that you can access a good bird five years from now . . . two families may be enough. I know of two known good breeders that only keep two families and would recommend it for it's simplicity. You can work in an acquired bird by a side mating, and get them to 1/2 or 3/4 your bird and then work them in on the female side. It would be a safer way to do it anyways.

I intend to only run two families of New Hampshires. I intend to get a couple females somewhere along the line, and put one of my males with them. That is two families of four females, and an extra pair. 10 females total. That is not especially deep, but right now I can go get a bird or two if I need it.

On the other hand, my Catalanas are not especially common. One of our rarest breeds. I am going a couple different directions with them, and will probably keep some more depth. I intend to establish a vigorous and viable flock first. I will tighten up within families, once I get some separation between families.

How many you intend to grow out on any given year matters to. The math alone restricts or expands variability.

I do not know if I am making any sense, and this is not advice. Just where I have come to on this subject. Mostly that every case is different, and we just have to have a plan and a goal. We are always free to change our minds.
And I want to keep that freedom. I do not want to become so rigid that I am not free to experiment and try things. If I decide to only run two families of New Hampshires, I am always free to do as I please on the side. I do not have to commit to anything until I feel pretty certain about it, and I am free to scrap whatever I do not like.

I think that sometimes we fall a little too in love with the breeding plans.

Last edited:
That gjensen dude is pretty smart. It's always about the birds. No matter what plan you use. It depends on what state your line is in too, you'd attack things different if they're in a good place that you're happy with versus a breed and variety that needs a lot of work to be where you want.

BGMatt, Dorkings of any variety are few and far between. Quality is even harder to find. So best if I don't plan on being able to get new blood in 5 years. I think that means my first priority needs to be genetic depth and preserving vigor. So I think I want to be able to start with more than one line, but not have them be too far apart.

Yeah, I get that clan breeding is about families. I guess I 'know' a lot in my brain, but just don't have a good idea what things look like. I guess it will come.

George, thanks. I'm mostly just looking for peoples thoughts on the matter and how it works for them.

Jennifer

BGMatt, Dorkings of any variety are few and far between. Quality is even harder to find. So best if I don't plan on being able to get new blood in 5 years. I think that means my first priority needs to be genetic depth and preserving vigor. So I think I want to be able to start with more than one line, but not have them be too far apart.

Yeah, I get that clan breeding is about families. I guess I 'know' a lot in my brain, but just don't have a good idea what things look like. I guess it will come.

George, thanks. I'm mostly just looking for peoples thoughts on the matter and how it works for them.

Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,

Until you know the things below, it is very difficult to choose
a breeding plan. Let's take a stab at answering them:

What are the names of the classic strains in US Dorkings today?
(these would be the 3-5 "foundation strains" from which the other strains sprang)

How are they related to each other?
( Usually foundation strains spring from a fountainhead , be it an import; a single exceptional bird, or?)

What color are you breeding?
(Is it a rare color or an established one?).

In the tradition of the breed, can it be bred to another color, if so which one(s)?
( In a breed's history there are "acceptable" color crosses and others "just not done".)

Which strain(s) do you have and how are they related to each other?
( this is important so you can figure out Percentages of Inbreeding & Line Inheritance.)

Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Does anyone here have BR's from Jeremy Woepel from XW Poultry Ranch.
I ordered some chicks from him.
I was just wondering if anyone has any pics of birds they bought from him.
Curious how the chicks will turn out.

Does anyone here have BR's from Jeremy Woepel from XW Poultry Ranch.
I ordered some chicks from him.
I was just wondering if anyone has any pics of birds they bought from him.
Curious how the chicks will turn out.

I have seen them they will be beautiful but you have to be patient for that beautiful to come out.

Scott

At the moment, I am collecting eggs from my best cock and my hen with the best disposition; and I noticed that her eggs rather seem to be on the small side.

Future breeding concerns aside -- except of course for anything that would impact them! -- how would I go about breeding to improve egg size?

Are there any characteristics conformation-wise I should use when selecting my breeding stock, such as perhaps greater width across the vent?

Back
Top Bottom