Heritage RIR vs production RIR

Quote:
That is funny because I got some of my information from some RIRCA Hall of Fame members also. [I know that you quote a lot of Robert Blosl work]
If you go to the R.I. Red club page and look up the Chronicles [which I am sure you have] you will see that in the header it says, "The Red Club Chronicle"
http://www.showbirdbid.com/joomla/redclub/images/stories/Oct2002 Chronicle.pdf

Also if you read through the Red Chronicle there is a good article on breeding for color and it states in there that breed is a Red and that Rhode Island is just the state where the breed originated from.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Isaac C. Wilbur gave the breed their name (Rhode Island Red) in the late 1880s

Would you like to post where you got this information from? I'm sure some Red breeders would like to read it considering that News Letter put out by the club is still/ was called the, "The Red Club Chronicle" and not the Rhode Island Red Club Chronicle.

I NEVER said the the OP's bird was a heritage bird

No the OP did.

There is NO breed recognized by the APA that carries the name Heritage

I know there is no breed that carries that name BUT the term has been used on this site to describe a breed that has been bred to Standard [ASOP]. Not a correct term but it is used here on BYC.

Chris​

Here's how everything started: I bought the chickens from a breeder here in Texas about 10 miles from my farm. Her website is Rooster Hill Farms. She lives in a town called Carlos.Anyway, I called her one day & told her that my chicks were fine & a few had started laying. While having this discussion I asked her not knowing if the chickens she sold me were RIR HERTIGAE or were they production reds. She said, they are RIR HERITAGE. Mr Blos in a round about way said she lied to me and gave me incorrect information. My thoughts were once again Why would she tell me that ?​

7L Farm -
A lot of backyard breeders just don't know any better they think that just because they didn't buy there birds from a hatchery that they are, "Heritage" or, "non-production". The breeder may have bought there birds from another backyard breeder or livestock action and was told that they were, "Heritage" and so they believed it.

Back some time ago someone was sell, "Heritage" Rhode Island Red on here that was no more, "Heritage" than a Sex-link but she believed that she had the real deal.

Now the bird that I saw in the picture looks to me to be a, "production" type chicken it may or may not have hatchery stock in it's background but if you re happy with them that is all that matters.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Chris, I'll take your word in regard to the Chronicle, but it is listed on the RIRCA web pages as the RIR Club Chronicle. I'm not a member and it really is a moot point. Makes me wonder why the breed isn't called the MA Red, as that was the first state the future breed was shown. Things that make you go Hmmmmm....

In regard to Robert's information, he has tons of information available. It is hard to Google RIR and not have one of his articles come up in the top ten. Certainly a testament to his dedication to the breed.

I didn't read the article you recommended and I guess I am kinda missing the point as to the importance of why the members of the "Red Club" calling RIRs, Reds is important. The breed is officially the RIR. I would therefore surmise that it was a name used for marketing prior to the APA recognition. It is also not uncommon for folks in the inner workings of a project or product to shorten the product name as to show familiarity. If that is in error, it changes very little.

There have been 2 publications devoted to RI Reds. The Red Club Chronicle published by the RI Red Club of America & the Rhode Island Red Journal edited by A. G. Studier from Waverly, Iowa.
Did you know that at one time there were 82 different poultry magazines published in the US?
BTW: One element of the ALBC's definition of "heritage" is ....their lineage can be traced back several generations. Can everyone who claims to hav "heritage" stock meet that requirement?

Quote:
Heritage Chicken must adhere to all the following: 1. APA Standard Breed. Heritage Chicken must be from parent and grandparent stock of breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA) prior to the mid-20th century; whose genetic line can be traced back multiple generations; and with traits that meet the APA Standard of Perfection guidelines for the breed. Heritage Chicken must be produced and sired by an APA Standard breed. Heritage eggs must be laid by an APA Standard breed.

In short, Must be stock of breeds whose genetic line can be traced back multiple generations ...... That is how I read it. Am I wrong here? To me, that means the BREED'S genetic line can be traced, not the specific bird. Not saying I am correct, just saying that is how I understood it.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Hey, Thanks to all. I am happy cause I'm getting 7 eggs now out of my ten & as Mr. Blos stated thats the name of this game. I agree. My birds are easy to deal with & as of now the roo I introduced this week is performing perfect. He is definately in heaven with my 10 playmates. Hopefully, I can hatch some egg laying machines in the near future. I need about 20 more from this flock & I'll grow from there. I'll keep yall updated. My chicks & new roo have good markings & seem to be good layers. To me their fulfilling my needs so Yee Haw. I guess it just takes time . I feel fortunate to have the flock I have. I'll for sure take care of them & my next & all the birds I'm blessed with in the future. Some customers don't want fertile eggs so my next flock will be infertile eggs . Good luck to all & Happy Holidays.

Back
Top Bottom