Hermit Crab Drama!

CritterHill

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 3, 2008
SE PA
I'm hoping someone knows something about hermit crabs. I've had a little drama!

I went to clean the tank today and found a naked hermit crab under the water dish with Little Guy's empty shell next to him.

I panicked and then piled all the extra shells next to him. He quickly grabbed the first shell and crammed himself in.

Problem 1: He doesn't fit in the shell! Can't get his head all the way in. But he won't come out and switch to a new one - it's been a couple hours...

Well, on closer inspection, this naked crab was actually Big Guy! I found Little Guy IN Big Guy's shell with his big pincher ripped off!

Problem 2: Anything I can do for Little Guy's missing pincher injury?

I am guessing that Big Guy maybe wanted Little Guy's shell (despite it being way too small) and ripped him out of it, ripping off his pincher in the process. Then Little Guy retreated into Big Guy's shell and Big Guy sat there with his britches down.

Ack!

Is there anything I can do? Or just leave them alone and hope it all works out?

I know this is TOTALLY the wrong forum for this, but the hermit crab forum has so little traffic...

the pincher will grow back. we had 14 hermit crabs but we had a snow storm and the electricity went off and they died. Im sure he will change his shell they like changing at night they feel more secure. Wetting the shell w/ water might help they like the moisture.

I'm guessing they're in at least a 10 gallon tank? Anything smaller and they will fight. I found out the hard way when one of mine killed the other in one of those little plastic things they are usually sold in, they aren't terribly social IME.
You can buy a 10 gallon divider and give them each half of the tank. Mine changed shells a lot and I always took the smaller shells out when they moved to bigger ones. They can get pretty big!!

Last edited:
Yea the biggest one recorded was football sized.
Lol we got green sand one time and the hair on the hermit crabs all turned green. But hermit crabs LOVE climbing, we took the net thingy outa the trunk of my mom's old car that was to help things stay in and cut it up and hung it in their tank they LOVED it, climbed all over it. They also like dried cactus to climb on.

It is a 10 gallon tank. There are 4 crabs in it. Is that enough space for 4?

Yep, tons of extra shells. I am going to hope he'll change into a better one overnight!

I hope it all works out! Poor Big Guy! Poor Little Guy!

Your post is serious, I know, but was also sooooo interesting in your description of the hermit crab drama! I certainly learned more about them than I ever knew, including that there is actually a hermit crab forum.

Sending wishes for healthy happy crabs.
JJ

Last edited:
I can't be much help to this whole thing but I will comment. ALL hermit crabs are wild caught! The reason being is that they will not reproduce in captivity. They lay their eggs in the ocean and no one has been able to replicate it close enough for hermit crabs. Please keep in mind, the little crabs that once had vast beaches and wide oceans are now confined for the rest of their lives. Its like a prison and they have a life sentence... Except, what did they ever do?
If you have heard otherwise and don't believe me, look up "hermit crabs reproducing in captivity" on google.

Back
Top Bottom