Hey all, any plans for saving money in the new year?

Quote:
I am so glad you clarified that.. I had been wondering where you were located and could not for the life of me find the Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center on Google Maps...
gig.gif

With that said, I plan on cutting out a few expenses. I have already cancelled my Sunday only newspaper subscription for a savings of around $8 a month. I can get news online. Also plan on ditching the Netflix account for a savings of $9 a month, especially since they are raising the rate coming January 2nd. I have 2 internet accounts. One at home and one at work.. My business is about 50 yards from the house, so I am going to dig a trench and put in a line so I can share the internet.. That will save about $80 a month.. So that puts me up to a monthly savings of $100 already. We have a huge garden and can lots of stuff. So food isn't an issue. I hate to shop, so I am as cut down on that expense as I can get.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

Quote:
I am so glad you clarified that.. I had been wondering where you were located and could not for the life of me find the Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center on Google Maps...
gig.gif

With that said, I plan on cutting out a few expenses. I have already cancelled my Sunday only newspaper subscription for a savings of around $8 a month. I can get news online. Also plan on ditching the Netflix account for a savings of $9 a month, especially since they are raising the rate coming January 2nd. I have 2 internet accounts. One at home and one at work.. My business is about 50 yards from the house, so I am going to dig a trench and put in a line so I can share the internet.. That will save about $80 a month.. So that puts me up to a monthly savings of $100 already. We have a huge garden and can lots of stuff. So food isn't an issue. I hate to shop, so I am as cut down on that expense as I can get.

lau.gif
I have a Kindle now so I can get all kinds of stuff for cheap!!!! I plna on a veggie garden next year too!​

Quote:
Me too.. But I have to get in the car and drive a mile away to get service on the darn thing. I can have the books delivered to my computer, but what fun is that???

DW and I are planting a garden and going to cut out all the "unneeded" luxuries in our life. We are having a baby in 5 wks so need to cut where we can. Oh and I am going to quit smoking.
hide.gif

Posting so I don't lose this thread, I am always amazed at the diversity of people on this site and hopefully I will learn a few money saving ideas along the way, although I am pretty darn frugal now!
We are taking all the unnecessary spending out of our budget as of January 1st. Right now we are making a list and checking it twice
wink.png
Kids are not thrilled at all
big_smile.png

I think gas and food is the biggest worry for everyone. Well that and housing. I feel like I have a full time job finding ways to not spend money. I have been checking blogs and such but honestly some of these people do not live on the same planet as me I think.

They have tips like remodeling the house with solar to save money. Ummm thats expensive. I would have to sell organs or children just to afford that. Great tips on getting discounts for gym memberships, cell phones, and manicures. I already can't afford any of those so saving money on them is kinda out. Wonderful articles on why buying a new car is more economical than buying a used. With the way prices are going up car payments are sorta not an option. I need to find tips from people who live in the same world I do.

I know one way of saving on meat is we are going to learn to love venison. alot. We are still shopping around and saving up but the plan is to find an affordable hunting rifle, have my brother teach my hubby and me how to hunt and process. It seems extreme but I really think its for the best. Actually maybe this whole screwed up economy is for the best. If we can just wade our way through this and become stronger and more self sufficient then maybe the agony of going through it will be worth it. Well thats what I am telling myself anyway. Maybe we can pop that provide our own food percentage up a bit if we provide all our own veggies and meat. Fruit is harder. We only have pears, blueberries and blackberries so far. I should have elderberries soon though. We planted 2 bushes last spring. I am hoping this spring to have enough money to plant a mini apple orchard. I hope.

Last edited:
Quote:
They sell guns at the Leitchfield swap on Wed.mornings....not sure if you know about that place. They also have a swap meet set up in the same place for chickens, goats, ducks....etc.

We now have 7 people in our family so I need a clothes line this spring. I have been asking for one for 4 years now. Guess I have to do it myself. We will also have the van paid off in Feb. It is so hard not stopping by the car lot, but this will be the first vehicle that will be all mine. Hope it will last another 2 years so I can save up a major down payment on another one. We will need one that seats 8.

I have been replacing my lawn with edible landscaping since 2006.Still have a lot of room for plantings.Unfortunately I am the target for all the wildlife as no other neighbor plants anything!

I will learn to can garden produce.

We go food shopping once a week,and I spend no more than $100 cash for food and supplies. I would use my credit card,but I find I spend way more if I charge.

Since I am not using my credit cards that means more money in the checking account,so I will be putting away $25-50 each week in a savings.

I turn off heating as soon as I can and keep AC off long into summer.I work hard to get the electric,gas,water bills down.

I want to get rid of cell phones and cable,but the family is giving me a hard time.

I get most cloths at thift sotres.Love the 50 cent mondays.

I only buy certain foods if they are cheap/on sale no matter how much we want an item.

Some food stores give gas discounts when you shop there,so that is an option for some.

Drying cloths on a line,and then just 5 minutes in the dryer to soften.

I am not big on meat,but I would really like to raise chickens and rabbits for meat-even to sell. In Hungary family would kill chickens all the time.Pigs were killed in the spring and fall.

My DH and I are both in the Army right now and as we don't want to risk a duel deployment with a baby (I'm due in May and will be deployable again in November which in my unit means I would be leaving close to that time and DH will likely already be gone). So, steps we're taking to save money with all the other bumps going on...

1) Pay off all debts other than the car and house before I get out.

2) Engaging in a stay at home business. This will avoid a day care bill, greatly reduce gas consumption, provide an income and reduce my stress levels exponentially. Note: Average daycare cost for an infant in CO is $8,000 a year; we seem to be in a higher zone in Colorado Springs a good daycare in this area looks to be closer to $12,000 a year.

3) No eating out/pack a lunch. This includes ordering pizza/chinese/etc. It's healthier made at home anyway.

4) Activly look for ways to cut grocery/daily needs bills. Clip coupons, track sales, etc. and have my own little garden; one section especially for herbs and the other for vegies. Heck, I'll be at home anyway so hopefully I'll have plenty of time.

5) Use the 'need/want' analysis to buy anything other that an a daily need. (ie; do I really need a new *pair of pants*, *phone*, *whatever*?)

6) Actually take the advice in the 'what not to buy baby' chapter of the parenting book.
roll.png
I'll try, but it's really hard to not buy some things that just look so useful and sometimes so hard to tell the difference between what we'll actually use and what's just fluff. Not that corporate America would try and sell you things you really don't need...
duc.gif

7) I'm also planning on making my own baby food; everything I need for this totals up to about $50 and will be fresher/healthier for baby to boot. I can buy a jar of baby food for about a dollar or use 15-20 cents worth of my own ingredients to make the EXACT same amount.

Definantly keeping track of this thread for more ideas!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom