Hey, all you lurkers! (I mean YOU!) Register and talk to us! - 2022 Edition

Pics
Idk what the highest number is but wow!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220303-153508_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220303-153508_Chrome.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 9
So, I'd like to echo the perfect words spoken 14 years ago: "C'mon, y'all, sign up and talk to us!
big_smile.png
"

...and once you join, reply here and let us know why you were lurking, what convinced you to sign-up, and what we (as a community) can do better to convert more lurkers to members.

I lurked for 6 years (2014-2020) before joining. And I regret not joining much sooner. But if I had seen your entreaty during my lurker years, I'm pretty sure I would have continued to hold back, but interested to see if your invitation prompted other lurkers to join.😅 I think you may get more replies to your question "Why did lurkers lurk?" if you ask Current BYC members: 1) If they lurked before joining? 2) How long did they lurk? 3) Approximately how many times did they visit BYC as a non-member before they joined? 4) What prompted them to join? etc., etc. Maybe an official BYC poll on the subject would help provide some answers?

It should be clear to anyone reading threads, articles, etc. on BYC to see the valuable knowledge and genuine help members strive to offer others. Maybe some lurkers feel there is no point in becoming a member since they can learn all they need to know by reading anonymously. (I felt that way). Maybe they feel they don't have any unique knowledge or contributions to offer other members. (I felt that way too.)

As a former years-long lurker, I want to say to all the current lurkers; take the step and join BYC! You'll be very glad you did. You need never write a single word unless you want to. But joining gives you the option to make your own unique contributions. When you join, you become part of an amazing, supportive online community. If you have a competitive streak, the frequent contests are lots of fun too!

I lurked for 6 years (2014-2020) before joining. And I regret not joining much sooner. But if I had seen your entreaty during my lurker years, I'm pretty sure I would have continued to hold back, but interested to see if your invitation prompted other lurkers to join.😅 I think you may get more replies to your question "Why did lurkers lurk?" if you ask Current BYC members: 1) If they lurked before joining? 2) How long did they lurk? 3) Approximately how many times did they visit BYC as a non-member before they joined? 4) What prompted them to join? etc., etc. Maybe an official BYC poll on the subject would help provide some answers?

It should be clear to anyone reading threads, articles, etc. on BYC to see the valuable knowledge and genuine help members strive to offer others. Maybe some lurkers feel there is no point in becoming a member since they can learn all they need to know by reading anonymously. (I felt that way). Maybe they feel they don't have any unique knowledge or contributions to offer other members. (I felt that way too.)

As a former years-long lurker, I want to say to all the current lurkers; take the step and join BYC! You'll be very glad you did. You need never write a single word unless you want to. But joining gives you the option to make your own unique contributions. When you join, you become part of an amazing, supportive online community. If you have a competitive streak, the frequent contests are lots of fun too!
This might be a good BYC topic of the week or a BYC poll. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-official-polls-existing-new-brainstorming.1383537/

I can explain a few occasional lurkers.

When I post a new article I share it with my writers' chat people -- if only to prove that there is a reason I haven't shared any new fiction excerpts. Some are polite enough to come have a look even though they are apartment dwellers and transients in academic housing who have no real interest in chickens. ;) :D 🤣

Back
Top Bottom