Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Miss Prissy had some egg rolls posted, so I tried making some myself as a late brunch snack today for us. We ate so many that it spoiled our dinner appetite
big_smile.png
So this was the only thing I made today... Yum!

31358_may_2010_016.jpg

I've missed you guys & gals so much!
smile.png

I've been in garden mode for almost 2 months now and it's just settling down.
We've been eating... greens!! salads from the gardens, LOTS of grilled mixed leaf chicken salads... nothing fancy... spaghetti & pesto... fresh stuff pounds and pounds of broccoli, just totally simple stuff barely even using the stove. My oven is still broken and that affects things as I bake EVERYTHING it seems. The fresh foods which has been uber nice are slowing down now as we come into the summer heat! Last night was some quick spaghetti & meatballs with tons of organic broccoli... two giant heads for 2 of us... just love that stuff!

Thing about these days is I have no real meal plans... what's fresh is in, what's not isn't.. and it all depends on how late all the chores go in the day! Tonight will probably be some pesto potatoes and a fresh green salad. You know... we have like 10 different bottles of dressing in the fridge and an entire cabinet full of different stuff to put on salads and lots of fresh local cherry tomatoes & greenhouse cukes... it's still a few more weeks until the chicken crop is ready so that supply is dwindling so more eggs than chicken these days!!! Our market started carrying organic Florida bananas, so I'm happy to report we can eat bananas again
smile.png

Well... glad to read about everyone's meals! It's always inspiring!

That's great DawnSuiter! It sounds wonderful! I love growing and eating my own stuff as much as possible, buying local when I can. We eat a LOT of bananas at our house and I think I just may have to start growing my own. A house in our neighborhood has bananas all over the property and they're amazingly HUGE. The house is currently in foreclosure and the listing company isn't mowing the lawn so what was once a beautiful house is beginning to look ratty. I've been tempted to call them and offer to trade them some lawn mowing for a couple of the banana pups!
big_smile.png
There are a few nice looking pups of a decent size that should produce bananas in two years.

So, how are the Florida bananas? Are they the typical Cavendish variety or are they one of the other varieties?

I understand that a Dwarf Cavendish can be grown as in indoor plant in cold climates, taking it outdoors during the summer months. For it to flower, it needs a LOT of sunshine, so you'd need to have a good sunny window in which to grow it. You'd have to research whether that was possible in your area, but that may be another possibility for you.

Backyard Buddies, my secret dream (which I guess isn't so secret now) is to grow a Banana Plantation here in the mid-south east... acres and acres of banana forests all under the cover of solar enhanced roofing, integrated rain collection systems... as we do live in a rainforest, and all so that us mid landers can eat tropical bananas!
big_smile.png

The Florida bananas are good.. they are grown in Coral Gables, which is oddly a seriously upscale community.. so not sure how that works out with the neighbors
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is a recipe that I made last night. It is from All Recipes - (Backyard Buddies you may have seen this one) was rated 5 out 5 by 5000+ members. It is REALLY good and will be perfect for the three ripe bananas that you might have once in a while. We rated a solid "10" on our rating scale of 1 to 10 and it will go in my personal cookbook for sure.

Banana Crumb Muffins

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt 3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar 1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter,
melted 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 263 | Total Fat: 8.1g | Cholesterol: 40mg

Back
Top Bottom