HGTV Coop Design

ExpiredMayo

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2018
Has anyone seen or built this design? Im looking to build a coop for next year for my first time with chickens. I want it easy to clean, harvest eggs, and get to any part of it if I need too.

https://www.hgtv.com/content/dam/documents/Gardens/chicken-coop-plans.pdf

Ive priced out the parts for it at Lowes and it looks to be close to $500 to build :eek:

I do want it to be pretty clean looking though becuase I can have a high standard and it will be in a fenced in backyard where it will be seen alot from guests.

That's very cute looking, but even as a relative newbie, and a non builder, I can see that it needs way more/better ventilation, and probably a bigger run too. Others may be able to add more, or make suggestions for modifying it. Check out the coop pages here, there are lots of cute but good for the chickens designs. Start by deciding how many chickens you want, figure 4 sq feet per chicken for the coop, and 10sq feet per chicken in the run. Ventilation is 1 sq foot per chicken in the coop. Make it bigger if you can, bigger is always better.

:welcome I had a couple of coops that were raised and they are not my favorite. I personally like a coop I can walk in. This may give you some ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/categories/chicken-coops-runs.6/

I recently renovated my original coop. It needed help. I have been doing one coop at a time because they all need some work. I have one left to do but it's good until the weather gets cooler.
IMG_20180214_123653.jpg
IMG_20180220_165446.jpg

IMG_4009.JPG

Frankly, that coop is not very practical. You want to get at least 3 chickens, so if something happens to one, you don't have a lone chicken. They need a flock, even if it's a small one. Where are you located? If it snows where you live, you really don't want a prefab coop. If you live in a temperate climate you can get away with one for a while. That's what I did, while I got used to having chickens and learned what was working and what didn't. Then I built a bigger, sturdier one. A lot of prefabs are very cheap and pretty much worthless right from the start. I got mine from mypetchicken, I think it is pretty good for a prefab, with some modifications for safety. Be aware the number of chickens it can house are always inflated, figure on 1/2 or less than what they claim it will hold, and they always need a bigger run, unless you plan on free ranging in your backyard.

Back
Top Bottom