Hi! I'm Heidi!

Hi, BYC! Let me introduce myself. Among other things, I'm a master gardener and composter, teaching in public schools and community gardens, and as such I'm a total nerd, researching everything to do with growing food sustainably. So of course, when I decided it was time to keep chickens, I discovered BYC. What a fabulous resource! I have learned as much as I can about building my coop and run from BYC, and now I am ready to purchase chickens (between 3 and 6) and embark on one of my life dreams: to keep chickens and tie them in to my back garden permaculture design. I'm planning to experiment with black soldier fly larvae and composting to tie the chickens in to the broader garden system. So, it's time I join up as a bonafide member of this group! YAY!! I'm looking forward to nerding out with all of you chicken keepers, discussing best practice, sharing mistakes and fixes, and having fun! If you'd like to weigh in on my beginning chicken adventure, please do!
Welcome to BYC!
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock!
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops
BYC has an APP

Wow! Can you name a few of them to get me started? And are their personalities suitable for children?
I have Rhode Island White and Barred Holland for the most part and they are good tempered. I select my breeds from the livestock Conservancy Priority List. Delaware and leghorn weren't as nice.

Welcome Welcome Welcome to BYC!!!
christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon-gif.1609125

Back
Top Bottom