Hi new duck mom here!

lexik20213

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2022
Hi, my name is Lexi i’ve always wanted ducklings and just a couple days ago i went to buy 2 little ducklings and they are the cutest. I have a whole set up for them temporarily until they can get a little bigger then i will fix up a area for them that’s a big space to run around and have lots of fun.

I do have some questions if anyone can answer them for me.
I’ve realized that they are a little scared of me and they will run away when i go to pick them up. I’ve done research on why they are and it says maybe because my bin is on the ground they could be afraid of how tall i seem or that it’s because their not used to me yet. I talk too them all the time to try and get them used to my voice, i’ve been giving them treats like cut up strawberries which they seem to really love but they just won’t eat it out of my hand yet. I give them plenty of water time, by plenty i mean about 10-15 mins a day since they are still very small. I’m also having trouble with my heating lamp to stay at the right temperature for them, i know it should be around 90°-95° for the first week and then bring it lower each week but it gets up to like 107° and when it does i turn it off and give them time to cool off but i’m too scared to have it on all night when i’m sleeping and have them over heat.

Please give me some tips on what i can do! Thank you!!

Hello, Lexi, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If you are brooding them in a solid sided container with a lamp, that is why the temp is going too high. Raise the lamp and only have it shine on one end. Don't fixate too much on having a precise temp but rather pay attention to their behavior. If they are huddled together complaining loudly, they are cold. If they are laying down and panting as far away from the heat source as possible, they are hot.
It isn't so much your size that is scaring them but that you are approaching from above. They are hardwired to fear things coming down on them from above.

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting your ducklings. You've gotten some good, solid advice from @DobieLover. Don't know what breed of ducks you're dealing with, but some are simply more skittish than others.

I'm sometimes a bit envious of others who have ducklings that seem to like being handled. None of my runners ever has, but as adults, most will happily eat out of my hand. Hope yours grow up to be friendly; ducks are such entertaining critters!

Back
Top Bottom