High Desert, California!!

Yeah Hesperia is allowed more than oak hills. I thought about changing till I notice that too.
Hi! I also live in oak hills, I moved here last summer. Yes, chickens are allowed. No, hesperia ordinances do not cover us. We are unincorporated so San Bernardino county regulations apply here. I'll try to find the link to the county stuff, but i think I remember it boils down to 1 chicken per 2000 sq ft. For 2.5 acre lot, that comes to about 55 chickens, but only two can be roosters.
I started my flock this spring and we have 10 currently although 7 are cockerels, so I will have a much smaller flock soon.

Edit:
http://cms.sbcounty.gov/lus/Planning/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.aspx
After looking at that again, it appears to limit any given variety of bird to 9 females and 2 males, so I guess 11 chickens are allowed? That seems really wierd, since in Hesperia proper you could have 150 chickens in the same amount of area (with correct zoning).
Hope I'm reading that wrong! I want a bigger flock!

I reached out to the Oak Hills Property Owners Association to get some clarification on the regulations, and they pointed me to a great resource on animal keeping in San Bernardino county.

http://www.sbcounty.gov/uploads/lus/Handouts/AnimalKeeping.pdf

So the situation is not so dire lol. Between 1 and 10 acres, you are allowed 99 female poultry, and 2 roosters. There are nuances of course, but I am much happier now that I have found this out.

I reached out to the Oak Hills Property Owners Association to get some clarification on the regulations, and they pointed me to a great resource on animal keeping in San Bernardino county.

So the situation is not so dire lol. Between 1 and 10 acres, you are allowed 99 female poultry, and 2 roosters. There are nuances of course, but I am much happier now that I have found this out.

be careful, even with those numbers, the spots fill up fast! =)

Hey everyone,

If you get up to Mammoth now and then and are looking for some new chickens, I'm located right where the 395 meets the 14. Pick them up on your way home! Currently I have the following available:

• Olive Egger (OE) chicks 3 weeks old $8/each straight run. (10 available)
  • Wellsummer/Black Copper Marans cross dark egg layer pullets, 10 weeks, $15/each (4 available)
  • Welsummer/Black Copper Marans cockerels, will be very handsome and perfect for OE project if you have blue egg laying Ameraucanas, 10 weeks, $10/each (2 available).
  • Pure bred blue Ameraucana/cockerel, non-standard coloring from Splash/White Am breeding, 10 weeks, $10/each (2 available).
  • OE pullets $20/each and OE roosters $15/each. 7 weeks old. Very handsome, black with white hackle feathers; some as yet all black.

An OE cockerel:

PM me if interested.
~Elaine

Hello! Is there anyone else from Mojave, CA here that cold help me out with a few questions? I wanna know what/where I can find the laws for chicken raising out here (I think it's ok, as it is rural area but I want to make sure). And I also want to know what kinda breeds are good for the weather out here. I have a few in mind but any advice would be great!

Hi gang!
I knew there were a lot of bird lovers in the valley but I didn't think it would be this many
celebrate.gif

In in Quartz Hill nice to meet everyone!
Very VERY new to birds. Bought a house and decided I wanted eggs.
I admit I'm not crazy about chickens (kinda traumatic experience when I farm-sat for a family
friend one weekend
sad.png
)
But somehow found myself driving home with five ducklings about four months ago!

So I have five Rouen ladies. (ISO a juvenile Rouen Drake btw)

In the future, I would love to get Quails. And I admit the Serma Chickens and the Silkies are pretty adorable
and could possibly change my mind about chickens.

@mightyspeedbump I'm pretty sure Mojave is zoned for animals and agriculture. If you aren't sure about your particular area though you can go into or call City Hall. They have a map. You find where you live and look at which color scheme you fall into. The color determines which zoning area you fall into and what you can and cannot have.
For the most part though, everything that is two miles from Lancaster and Palmdale is zoned for animals and agriculture. There are small pockets within the cities zoned as well.

Hi gang!
I knew there were a lot of bird lovers in the valley but I didn't think it would be this many
celebrate.gif

I admit I'm not crazy about chickens (kinda traumatic experience when I farm-sat for a family
friend one weekend
sad.png
)
But somehow found myself driving home with five ducklings about four months ago!

In the future, I would love to get Quails. And I admit the Serma Chickens and the Silkies are pretty adorable

@mightyspeedbump I'm pretty sure Mojave is zoned for animals and agriculture. If you aren't sure about your particular area though you can go into or call City Hall. They have a map. You find where you live and look at which color scheme you fall into. The color determines which zoning area you fall into and what you can and cannot have.
For the most part though, everything that is two miles from Lancaster and Palmdale is zoned for animals and agriculture. There are small pockets within the cities zoned as well.
You just need to find the right ones! I can't see myself doing ducks myself, but I'll never say never.

Hi gang! 
I knew there were a lot of bird lovers in the valley but I didn't think it would be this many :celebrate
 friend one weekend :( )

@mightyspeedbump
 I'm pretty sure Mojave is zoned for animals and agriculture. If you aren't sure about your particular area though you can go into or call City Hall. They have a map. You find where you live and look at which color scheme you fall into. The color determines which zoning area you fall into and what you can and cannot have.

I will probably have to call the county. Mohave is unincorporated so we don't have a city hall....but thanks for the help

You just need to find the right ones! I can't see myself doing ducks myself, but I'll never say never.
Ducks are soo cute and they have soo much personality! Now that I have my girls I highly doubt I will ever be without ducks again lol.
I will have to give chickens a chance... eventually. My friend and I agreed to pet sit for a family friends farm and when we went to feed the chickens they all Literally stopped chirping and just STARED at us. We were so freaked out that we both decided if we were going to be mauled by chickens we'd go down together. They didn't attack us but they wouldn't move and kept staring until we went inside their coop, put down the food, and left. Once we latched the gate they swarmed over the feed like a pack of wolves! It took like two minutes and all of the food was gone!
hide.gif
neither of us have been near chickens since! The owner laughed and said we were lucky they didn't mistake us for the food! We didn't go into their coop again...

I just wanted to follow up on my own post, as i have received some additional clarification, and i don't want to spread misinformation.

The 99 poultry limit is if that is the primary use for the land. If the land is where your primary residence is, then poultry keeping is considered accessory use and the previous limit i observed is correct; 9 hens and 2 roos.

Bummer.

Edit to add, this limitation does not exist for "baby" animals, less than 4 months old (i.e. 16 weeks) so i could probably get away with still raising meat birds, just not have a permanent flock of great size. sort of. (the code is supposed to apply to the offspring of animals that are maintained in compliance with the regular ordinance)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom