High Desert, California!!

Quote:
We would really like to get some copper marans at some point; perhaps when we are ready to incubate eggs. I hope you get a rooster! I didn't see a marans rooster at the place where I picked up the hens, but he's bound to get one eventually. How many hens do you have?

I have two pullets but I am supposed to get a pullet in exchange for the roo (which I am returning to the seller). I have a blue copper one (I believe she said it is a Bev Davis line) and a black copper one.

Quote:
Hi CJ, thanks for the welcome (I'm Magdelaine's husband).

Do you mind me asking where in Riverside you picked up the Marans? MIL lives down in Moreno Valley and I'm through that area of the world a lot for work.

Thanks,

Yez

In Norco. She's a member here ("onthespot") and she has a great return policy if you only want pullets and get a roo.

Quote:
To update - everyone pretty much agrees I got two Cornish X (meat birds). I have no interest in raising and butchering meat birds.

However, there is still a good outcome. I called Van Dam Farms , they had not ordered any CornishX - so, the mix-up was not at the feedstore. (Also, all three birds had the same blue hatchery mark on their head) He definitely agreed the hatchery (RedWing)could have made a mistake. He was really nice to me about it, totally wanted to "make it right" He had 2 one week old Delawares in his store now ( as well as day olds) - he is holding them for me, and would like me to bring the other two back so he can see them, and swap them over. So, I will have birds only a week apart - which is good for me in my brooder.

Quote:
To update - everyone pretty much agrees I got two Cornish X (meat birds). I have no interest in raising and butchering meat birds.

However, there is still a good outcome. I called Van Dam Farms , they had not ordered any CornishX - so, the mix-up was not at the feedstore. (Also, all three birds had the same blue hatchery mark on their head) He definitely agreed the hatchery (RedWing)could have made a mistake. He was really nice to me about it, totally wanted to "make it right" He had 2 one week old Delawares in his store now ( as well as day olds) - he is holding them for me, and would like me to bring the other two back so he can see them, and swap them over. So, I will have birds only a week apart - which is good for me in my brooder.

Always nice to hear companies looking out for their customers! Today, this is not the norm! Glad they are helping to make it right.

Cool to hear how nice they are! Is that the location in Antelope Acres?
I just got day olds of Delawares, Leghorns and "Araucanas" but I think they're Easter Eggers. They're all supposed to be pullets, too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, I did end up out at Antelope Acres - simply because they had a brooder, and the chicks I wanted available a week earlier than if I had ordered at one of their closer (for me) locations.

Did you get your new chicks from there? When I spoke to them, he did mention he had received chicks today. I was goingto get two of the day old delawares, until he mentioned he had two left from last weeks delivery - I decided the older ones would be better for me, becasue they were closer in age to the ones I currently have at home.

Just FYI, they get their chicks from Redwing hatchery in Lancaster (which doesn't sell direct to the public), so, they shouldn't be stressed form travel, like mail order chicks can be.

Last edited:
Yep I went to the one in Antelope Acres. The babies were impossible to resist. They were up and about too when I brought them home, not like the week old ones I brought home from Odyssey Ranch. I didn't think I'd get new ones so soon, and I got some flack for them, but oh well. I've got 2 or maybe even 3 roos I need to get rid of anyway and a couple of pullets whose days are numbered, too.

We are putting in another bulk order of food from an organic company up north to be shipped down here. There is room for about 30 more bags on the order... so just PM me if you want to get in on it. We will be distributing them at our next meet-up on April 23rd at Lake Murray Park in San Diego.

Thanks!

Food Company;
http://www.modestomilling.com/index.html

Price List;
OrganicFeedPricingJANUARY2011.jpg

hey fellow desert people!

86065_pose.jpg

Me and my flock live in Ridgecrest. Because of the water table situation I don't usually grow plants unless I can eat them BUT this year I'm growing morning glorys as a shade for the girls. I'm in love with my idea and I'll post pics as it begins to work but I thought I'd share it now while it's not too late to do the same in your spaces <3

ps thanks for this thread, it's really cool to think that i'm not alone in the big confusing world of desert gardening

welcome-byc.gif
From North Edwards

Morning Glory are poisonous. I am not sure if they are harmful to chickens. But they were on the list of what we could not have planted in our yards when I did in home child care in base housing. I know its harmful to dogs too. You might want to check that out.

Back
Top Bottom