High Desert, California!!

Hello from Littlerock! I have been keeping a small flock of feedstore chickens. This year we bought some from a big hatchery. We have a small orchard, raised bed garden and a couple of bee hives. Love living in the High Desert, been here since 1988. Originally from Chatsworth.

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like you have a nice place and are plenty busy. Hope you join us for some fun meet-ups when the weather is cooler.

welcome-byc.gif
and hello from Lancaster. I'm originally from Winnetka/Northridge, just moved here 4 years ago.

Does anyone know the current price (approx) of grower or flock raiser? I am probably going to be shocked when I next go to pick up feed. Last time it was almost $22!!

Quote:

If you want a dual purpose bird, (both meat and eggs) I would highly recommend staying away from "hatchery" birds (the ones sold at feed stores) They have been bred away from their original jobs to more suit the needs of consumers which is egg laying. I have raised hatchery "dual-purpose" and was sorely disappointed upon butchering day, tiny frames with very little meat. Decide on a few really good dual purpose birds, and then see if you can get them from a breeder. You will be MUCH happier in the end if you start with better stock.

I ended up selling all my hatchery birds and now only have breeder birds. I have 2 flocks, one for eggs and one for meat, that way I can specialize in each. I like doing it that way but it would be really cool to have just one flock that is good for both. And they are out there. I highly recommend Rhode Island Reds, White Rocks, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, Delawares and Orpingtons for a dual purpose bird good for your area, but mind you "real" heritage birds and not the ones from a hatchery. There is a thread on here called heritage birds or something, that is a good place to start.

Last edited:
Quote:

It depends on where you get it, find a cheap feedstore, and if you want organic or not. Regular cheap stuff here is about 15 bucks a bag, if you go organic it can be as high as $29 a bag.

Thanks, I got Purina grower crumbles for $22 last time at Van Dam Farms feed store. They seem to really like it but It used to be $17/50 lb. Bag a few months ago. Guess I'll just have to see.

Thanks I am going to Four Points on Wednesday.

I wish I could go to the San Diego meet-up...it's too far and that day is reserved for my SO's birthday celebration. I want to go to a meet-up!

Back
Top Bottom