His and Hers DIY 50# feeders

4bdennis

Chirping
Jan 14, 2016
Maryville, Tennessee
Last week while watching the chickens I noticed the roosters eating feathers of the hens after mating.
SO I studied up and read they need more protein. That meant new feed and feeder, i just switched over to layer feed..
Well i ended up building two feeders and it has worked beautiful . They both hold 50# of feed .
For the most part they eat there own feed and the feather pulling has stopped,

I personally don't feed layer, it often isn't enough protein for backyard flocks. I feed an all flock with oyster shells offered in a separate bowl. I also think the extra calcium in layer is bad for roosters.

Those are really nice feeders. Do they eat out of the appropriate ones?
1f600.png

I personally don't feed layer, it often isn't enough protein for backyard flocks. I feed an all flock with oyster shells offered in a separate bowl. I also think the extra calcium in layer is bad for roosters.

1f600.png

what about this one ? supplementing oyster shell along with this feed would be sufficient?

It's the 16% protein that can cause troubles, I like something with 18-20%, if fed as a sole ration, layer is suppose to be enough to keep a chicken healthy and laying without getting fat. Backyard flocks often receive other things to eat which cuts the overall protein, something like cracked corn is 8%, so scratch can be detrimental if too much is fed, but add higher protein ration and they can handle some as a treat without becoming egg eaters and feather pickers.

I switched last season and immediately saw an improvement in my birds. They also molted faster and resumed laying in December. Something I never experienced. So brand isn't as important as the protein content. Well brand is important, some won't eat certain brands.

1f600.png
Yes they do eat out of r proper feeders but of course there is the occasional sampling
droolin.gif
. The roosters are now on 24% game and the hens on 16% layer. The chickens roam the 1/4 acre goat pen most of the day foraging. Trying to find 18% layer.

Yes they do eat out of r proper feeders but of course there is the occasional sampling
droolin.gif
. The roosters are now on 24% game and the hens on 16% layer. The chickens roam the 1/4 acre goat pen most of the day foraging. Trying to find 18% layer.

around here for layer feed

i only see 15-16%.. i don't see anything higher at local stores

Back
Top Bottom