His and Hers DIY 50# feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 4bdennis, May 29, 2016.

1. 4bdennis

4bdennis Out Of The Brooder Premium Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Last week while watching the chickens I noticed the roosters eating feathers of the hens after mating.
    SO I studied up and read they need more protein. That meant new feed and feeder, i just switched over to layer feed..
    Well i ended up building two feeders and it has worked beautiful . They both hold 50# of feed .
    For the most part they eat there own feed and the feather pulling has stopped,

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally don't feed layer, it often isn't enough protein for backyard flocks. I feed an all flock with oyster shells offered in a separate bowl. I also think the extra calcium in layer is bad for roosters.

Those are really nice feeders. Do they eat out of the appropriate ones? [​IMG]

3. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    what about this one ? supplementing oyster shell along with this feed would be sufficient?

[​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's the 16% protein that can cause troubles, I like something with 18-20%, if fed as a sole ration, layer is suppose to be enough to keep a chicken healthy and laying without getting fat. Backyard flocks often receive other things to eat which cuts the overall protein, something like cracked corn is 8%, so scratch can be detrimental if too much is fed, but add higher protein ration and they can handle some as a treat without becoming egg eaters and feather pickers.

I switched last season and immediately saw an improvement in my birds. They also molted faster and resumed laying in December. Something I never experienced. So brand isn't as important as the protein content. Well brand is important, some won't eat certain brands.

5. 4bdennis

4bdennis Out Of The Brooder Premium Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Yes they do eat out of r proper feeders but of course there is the occasional sampling[​IMG]. The roosters are now on 24% game and the hens on 16% layer. The chickens roam the 1/4 acre goat pen most of the day foraging. Trying to find 18% layer.

6. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    around here for layer feed

i only see 15-16%.. i don't see anything higher at local stores

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I use an all flock. Most are 18-20%.

8. BruceAZ