Hmm, too many blue-green eggs.

fastEddie

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Long story short - We originally ordered (5) Buffs, (5) S.L. Wyandottes, and (5) Araucanas. We ended up getting 16 in the mail. This odd one out has long been a mystery but we assumed based on her looks she was a Leghorn or something similar.

Due to The Great Chicken Tragedy of '09 we are now down to (3) of each of the above + this odd ball. Today we got 4 blue-green eggs from only 3 Araucanas - so my question is two-fold.

1. Can a chicken lay more than 1 egg in 24 hours (more accurately in less than 12 hours)?
2. What is this "oddball" white hen I have? Could she have laid this 4th blue-green egg today?

070509021.jpg

TIA,
Ed

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful white easter egger. That's your blue-green egg. Congrats!!!

Edit: To answer your other question, it takes roughly 26 to 32 hours to create an egg from the time they laid the last one. Technically it is possible to get two eggs in one day from one chicken if one of those eggs is a fart egg (really tiny usually having no yolk) This is pretty rare though.

Last edited:
Occasionally it does happen to get 2 eggs in 24hours with both of them being fully formed. Extremely uncommon. I've seen it proven once on here and that's it. Every other time it turned out an egg was hidden, someone laid that they didn't think could, or an egg was laid just after they collected the day before and then again just before they collected that day with an hour or more difference between when they collect to still make it more than 24hours between eggs.

Back
Top Bottom