Hmm, too many blue-green eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fastEddie, Nov 9, 2009.

1. fastEddie

fastEddie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Long story short - We originally ordered (5) Buffs, (5) S.L. Wyandottes, and (5) Araucanas. We ended up getting 16 in the mail. This odd one out has long been a mystery but we assumed based on her looks she was a Leghorn or something similar.

Due to The Great Chicken Tragedy of '09 we are now down to (3) of each of the above + this odd ball. Today we got 4 blue-green eggs from only 3 Araucanas - so my question is two-fold.

1. Can a chicken lay more than 1 egg in 24 hours (more accurately in less than 12 hours)?
    2. What is this "oddball" white hen I have? Could she have laid this 4th blue-green egg today?

[​IMG]

TIA,
    Ed

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. chickensRheaven

chickensRheaven Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Farmington, Maine
    I've seen another post about a white EE. I wish I could link the thread. She looks great![​IMG]

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    She definitely does not look like a leghorn.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's a white easter egger pullet, so she laid the fourth egg or has been laying and someone else did.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    She is a white EE! I have one that looks just like her, they are gorgeous!

6. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Absolutely beautiful white easter egger. That's your blue-green egg. Congrats!!!

Edit: To answer your other question, it takes roughly 26 to 32 hours to create an egg from the time they laid the last one. Technically it is possible to get two eggs in one day from one chicken if one of those eggs is a fart egg (really tiny usually having no yolk) This is pretty rare though.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Occasionally it does happen to get 2 eggs in 24hours with both of them being fully formed. Extremely uncommon. I've seen it proven once on here and that's it. Every other time it turned out an egg was hidden, someone laid that they didn't think could, or an egg was laid just after they collected the day before and then again just before they collected that day with an hour or more difference between when they collect to still make it more than 24hours between eggs.

8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep what they all said. she is a beauty btw [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

She's beautiful.

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Wow! What a pretty hen! I've never seen a pure white EE before! I want one!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by