Hobbled Chicken - Need Some Advice

Kirbzilla

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 25, 2015
Ashburnham, MA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello - looking for some suggestions to help with a light brahma whose in sad shape.

It all started with a bad bout of scaly leg mites. She (Bloody Mary) was the worst hit, to the point where she was not walking. This was about two months ago. We vigilantly treated the whole flock (still are) and have been on a every three day treatment of soak, neem oil, Vaseline as well as coop clean outs and disinfecting every 2 weeks. Everyone else is cleared up or clearing up.

Initially we pulled Bloody Mary out kept her on daily treatments, water with electrolytes and extra protein food. Got her to the point where she was walking, standing upright again and moving about and laying eggs.

We returned her to the flock (we have 22 total) and she was moving slower, but back in action. She got in the typical routine of leg treatments and kept clearing. She still was hobbling a bit.

Her leg mites have all but almost cleared and she started molting (along with the rest of our older girls). One of roosters began trying to mount her and realized she was weak, now he's been terrorizing her. She spent her days hobbling out in the yard , finding a secure spot and then hobbling back to the coop at night.

Her legs seem much better, but she's still not walking well. I'm not sure if its permanent damage or if she's got another infection or something going on?

In the mornings this week we've been penning her so she's secure and can still be outside with everyone. In the evenings we let her out so she can go in with the rest.

She's eating, drinking and still occasionally laying but she's hobbled , tail feathers down and looking absolutely miserable.

Any thoughts / ideas / suggestions ? I'm at a loss ... but know she can't continue on like this much longer.

HI, I don't have much advice but hopefully this will get your post back up at the top. I would think keeping her separate is a good idea and maybe some vitamins to help her get better sooner??

Back
Top Bottom