Holy pig... I must be crazy.

Brunty_Farms

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
Well here they are, the future sides and cuts for the CSA's. It's a ball in motion now, just have to get through the winter. There is 24 of them and I'm probably going to keep about 4 of them for breeders. One male is intact the rest are cut or females. Went to PA to pick them up a few nights ago. They are a hoot to watch when the run and chase each other. I'm going to be a bit nervous though when they go onto pasture in about 3 months. I'm curious to how they will respond to the electric wire. With this many I'm not sure what's going to happen. All I know is they are hellions on a pasture so I have left a section of the filed grow up into thorns and brush and hoping that will slow them down a bit compared to just straight mowed pasture.

DSCF3673.jpg

DSCF3672.jpg

DSCF3671.jpg

DSCF3663.jpg

DSCF3655.jpg

DSCF3652.jpg

Oh, you're definetly crazy. I don't think anyone ever questioned that. LOL I think pigs are supposed to be very responsive to eletric, so you shouldn't have any problems. After seeing what my hogs did to the area they are in, there is no way I would ever put them out on my pasture, but your right, they brushy stuff should slow them down.

I will be processing mine on New Year's Eve day. Can't wait to have some fresh pork and saurkraut on NYD.

Why did you go all the way to PA to get them? Isn't there anywhere closer?

Last edited:
There is but I didn't want to buy 5 here... 6 there... ect. This lady had the whole lot for $40.00 / pig, which was an awesome price. She had a cool set up too where she had the breeders on a piece of pasture and the sows that were ready to drop or had little ones were in the gestation crates. I'm not fond of the crates yet though. I understand their purpose and can take them more if they are just in there for a short time but I can't believe sows in the industry live their whole lives in one of those crates. I know how much pigs like to move and root, and they definitely have no place being in a cage.

Ya, all of mine were responsive to the electric too, but they were this age when they learned. I'm afraid that they are going to be a little rambunctious when the first hit the pasture and may run through the fence. Which, sucks to be honest with you because they are no fun when they get out.

Crazy....awe that's just a state of mind... I will sober up when the feed bill goes up in about a month! LOL.

Quote:
Pigs are pretty smart animals. Hopefully they don't hit it full force the first time and just get a shock and that's it.

Know what you mean about the feed bill. Pigs are like huge meaties.

Yes, you are crazy, but if anybody can pull this off, we know YOU can! All that fresh premium pork will be alllllll worth it.

Great pictures. They are so cute at this age.

Let us know how they go and what you have learned. Pigs are definitely on my list of projects in the future.

I would think that in your case you may want to start them on electric now. I believe that it helps a lot if you either section off part of their stall, or at least run it around the perimeter of the stall. They will learn what the wire is even if they can't see past it really.

BTW your pure evil with the pics. I want pigs SO bad and cant wait to get them
big_smile.png
Hopefullly this spring if I get the barn fixed up in time

Ah, I remember the days of raising pigs for 4-H. I was one of only a couple of people who took them for breeding until I got tired of them and decided I like the cattle much more.
I never pastured hogs though, but if we ever get them now that I am much older, wiser and crazier, we will pasture them in areas we want them to take out things like burdocks and such. They make great soil modifiers
lol.png

I never had to pay for the feed back then, it was all part of the farm expense, so I don't know what it would take to feed one any more.
I did plenty farrowing though and the crates really are the way to go, but you still can lose a piglet or two. I would put them in the crate a few days before, or maybe even the day of farrowing and only keep them there a couple of weeks, otherwise they were in a pen with ample space for them to move around. I can't imagine keeping any animal that constrained for long term, but I know it happens. It is sad that our country is moving so far away from caring for our livestock in a more natural and humane way.
Have fun with them there oinkers, they are fun to watch.

And...crazy is what crazy does. We all crazy in our own special way.

Oh my goodness but baby pigs are so stinking CUTE!!!
Good luck on your pork adventure. I know nothing of pig raising but had to look.

Yep, I want that little red one in the foreground! We had pigs when I was a kid and I LOVED them! The only whipping I ever got from my grandmother was from refusing to come in the house for supper, bath, and bedtime because I wouldn't leave the baby pigs! I think I was about 4, maybe 5. When my Chesapeake Bay Retriever dies of old age, I would like to get a pot belly pig...DH doesn't know yet!

Back
Top Bottom