NewDuckMama4

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2019
49
23
49
I was wondering about the tomato plant also.

I'm 🙏 for you and your beautiful duck ❤️
Yes your ducks are VERY beautiful!!! And i too was wondering about the tomatoes.....i feed mine tomatoes but do not give them access to the whole plant as the green parts ARE toxic.......i also agree that as long as she doesnt seem to be in immense pain...i would hold off on putting her down...but that is obviously 100% your decision!!! I had my duck Bob a Cayuga who appeared on the brink of death for DAYS and DAYS and would only stand in one place wouldnt eat and drank very little....i added mineral oil and oregano to his water and was able to get him to eat a couple worms here and there.....one day he passed a long probably 6-7 piece of stretchy rubber that was once a toy i had hanging from there cage( this was a toy i that i read was loved by ducks so i was shocked by the whole thing) anyway after passing it he was back to himself in no time!! ( he also recovered after swallowing a push pin needle) ......hes my special little fighter ... but my point .....that i sat up night after night with him just waiting for that moment when he would be gone.....but i didnt give up trying and he ended up making it....i wish you the best of luck and wish i had more information on seizures for you!!!!
 

Ccochran

Hatching
Dec 15, 2021
4
8
7
Looks like I am a little late in responding to this post. I hope your ducks have gotten better. But, I'd like to tell all that ducks are very sensitive to metals. They can get heavy metal poisoning very easily. And, the symptoms of this are much like what you described your ducks were displaying. If not corrected quickly it will kill them. But, they will suffer with seizures, loss of appetite, weakness, injuries from the seizures. Also, noticed the fence in one of the pics you posted. It is chicken wire. Most all fencing is coated with Zinc to deter rust. Zinc and Lead are the two heavy metals that cause most heavy metal poisoning in ducks. Zinc more often. Luckily, Zinc can be pulled out of a duck with a chelating agent, peanut butter, or molasses. Mix these in a syringe and squirt in their mouth morning and night. Do this for at least 7 days. It will pull the Zinc out, and the symptoms should stop. We had a Peking duck who I thought would surely die. Took her to 2 different Vets, overall paid about 900.00 trying to help her. I finally thru much research figured out what was wrong. Ordered Chelating agent online. Started the treatment. Seizures stopped. Moved her pool away from any fencing, picked up anything metal in her environment. Strive to keep any and all metal away from ducks. Still have this duck over a year later. She still has a bad foot from all the seizures, but is alive, and doing pretty good. I am a Registered Nurse, not a Vet. But, on this issue. I had to figure out the problem and solution because Vets kept missing it, even after I told them of what I suspected. Had I listened to them, she would be dead today. Lead collects in blood and is almost impossible to pull out of them. But, will cause same heavy metal poisoning symptoms.
 

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Oct 3, 2009
119,241
143,177
1,982
Mountains of Western N.C.
Looks like I am a little late in responding to this post. I hope your ducks have gotten better. But, I'd like to tell all that ducks are very sensitive to metals. They can get heavy metal poisoning very easily. And, the symptoms of this are much like what you described your ducks were displaying. If not corrected quickly it will kill them. But, they will suffer with seizures, loss of appetite, weakness, injuries from the seizures. Also, noticed the fence in one of the pics you posted. It is chicken wire. Most all fencing is coated with Zinc to deter rust. Zinc and Lead are the two heavy metals that cause most heavy metal poisoning in ducks. Zinc more often. Luckily, Zinc can be pulled out of a duck with a chelating agent, peanut butter, or molasses. Mix these in a syringe and squirt in their mouth morning and night. Do this for at least 7 days. It will pull the Zinc out, and the symptoms should stop. We had a Peking duck who I thought would surely die. Took her to 2 different Vets, overall paid about 900.00 trying to help her. I finally thru much research figured out what was wrong. Ordered Chelating agent online. Started the treatment. Seizures stopped. Moved her pool away from any fencing, picked up anything metal in her environment. Strive to keep any and all metal away from ducks. Still have this duck over a year later. She still has a bad foot from all the seizures, but is alive, and doing pretty good. I am a Registered Nurse, not a Vet. But, on this issue. I had to figure out the problem and solution because Vets kept missing it, even after I told them of what I suspected. Had I listened to them, she would be dead today. Lead collects in blood and is almost impossible to pull out of them. But, will cause same heavy metal poisoning symptoms.
:welcome Thank you for sharing.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom