Holy pig... I must be crazy.

Those pigs are adorable! And I'm sure they will be delicious
wink.png

Gee Jeff... why start so small ? My wife's cousin runs a 500 sow operation on 800 acres and leases the 640 acres next door to raise corn in Minn. so he could feed all the piglets. He also buys more feed as needed.

I thought I had read something about hogs being difficult to electric train because their instinct is to charge when threatened rather than back off. I figured that is why there are hog panels. I'm curious what others have experienced.

What kind of food conversion rate do you get with hogs?

Oh those are so cute. I swear one of these days I will get one, I am not too sure what my neighbors would think of that but I am sure that they will get over it when I have a nice pig roast !

Quote:
Not sure on the feed but yes, they do want to run through first when shocked instead of back up. When they are tiny you just pick them back up and put them in. When they are 125 pounds, it's a different story. But once they get it... they got it and will respect the wire well after the wire disappears even.

I am really jealous! I have been campaigning the family to let me get a couple pigs for more than a year now, and so far, it looks like I am not prevailing! They say I have too many projects and I generate too much mud already.

I've been thinking about raising a couple for a few years now. I have the room and facilities. Just don't know if I want to devote more time to yet another "hobby".

What I have been doing the last couple years is buy a hog from a local farmer that I know pastures his pork. In fact, one just went to market (the meat market that is!) yesterday. I'm short on freezer space at the moment, so I am only getting 1/2 but there is nothing like farm fresh meat!!!

Good luck Jeff! Hope it works out for you. Now that you have people hooked on your Cornish X's, you have a good list of contacts to peddle your pork.

We just raised four and they are going to market Monday. We first thought we would keep one and have her bred but since my husband has decided against that.

We did not raise them anything to eat so we have been out the feed on four.....and it was not cheap....but they make great garbage disposals!

Back
Top Bottom