Holy pig... I must be crazy.

Quote:
no its actually not. I brought them a box of lucky charms, scratched them and told them thank you. Yes you will always feel a bit of guilt and if you dont...something aint right...an animal you raised with care, and gave a good life to so that you could have a healthier life did not suffer. In my case I have an illness and commercially raised and processed food is not good for me. I loved my pigs and they gave me back some of my health in return. treated them right, they repaid tenfold.

Mister Bigg Pigg
71344_snowpig1.jpg

Last edited:
Im gonna be watching this thread with interest. Im hopefully gonna be doing 2 pigs this spring. So this is great. How long before those guys go to the butcher,

Regarding the electric fence: we had a pig that knew about the electric fence but wanted outside it anyway. He would start about 50 feet away from it squealing for all he was worth and run through the fence. I guess he was willing to pay the price of the shock. It was hilarious.

I feel your pain, my friend. I had my WHATHTEFLYINGHECKWASITHINKING moment when I put all one hundred and two chicks into brooders. Most I have done before is 50.

It's gonna be a wild ride.
bun.gif

But I'm thinking barbeque this summer? You bring the ribs I'll bring the capons?

Quote:
usually around 6 months of age give or take, the ideal weight is around 240 pounds, little above or below depending on how much fat you want in your meat. Pigs are not hard, they do best in groups of 3 (my experience anyway). they are very social lol. the pig in my post above, he dressed at 240 pounds. the others right at 200. we had 3 feet of snow and the butcher could not get here, lol they all ate well in the snow cause I didnt want them to get cold!

2 weeks ago I brought home 2 tamworth pigs. I have a pumpkin patch and I have a lot of leftoer squash that stores real well. They go crazy for acorn squash. This is my first go around with pigs, we will see how they do.

Barry

I could never be a farmer --- I would name each one and love on em . Not saying anything bad about the folks that can ( I do myself love a good bacon sandwich ) ... but I just could not do it .

The pigglets are adorable

barrybro, hows those pigs doing with this weather we,re having. Im just a bit north of you, & have been debating on waiting for warm weather, to get a couple pigs.

I did 5 pigs this year, my first. Easier than chickens. I housed them on pasture with a calf hutch for shelter and electronet for fencing, They did great but were very hard on my pasture. I'll probably raise 8-10 next year and try them in the woodlot. I supplemented feed with excess milk from my Jersey cow. Soon, Brunty, you will be getting a cow to feed your pigs and chickens!

Quote:
They seem to be doing great. I have a stall for shelter with a lot of straw. They bury themselves so deep you can't see them, you have to look for the breathing pile of straw. So far I have really liked keeping them.

Barry

Back
Top Bottom