Homemade chick feeder

teamfluffybutt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 1, 2013
Central Arkansas
I got tired of our chicks kicking pine shavings into their store bought feeder and wasting feed so my daughter and I came up with this idea. Hung it from the top of the brooder tub. It's easy to fill, the chicks figured it out quickly, and the brooder tub stays a lot cleaner.

Soda bottle with holes cut at bottom for chicks to reach feed. Inside plastic cup has holes cut to allow feed to refill by gravity.

Same idea, different container

I got tired of our chicks kicking pine shavings into their store bought feeder and wasting feed so my daughter and I came up with this idea. Hung it from the top of the brooder tub. It's easy to fill, the chicks figured it out quickly, and the brooder tub stays a lot cleaner.

Soda bottle with holes cut at bottom for chicks to reach feed. Inside plastic cup has holes cut to allow feed to refill by gravity.

Same idea, different container
What type of chicks are these? I have one that looks very similar

it's the water that always gets dirty which I find more of a problem. This is what I now use for my smallest chicks, propped up on something to stop them playing in it.
Would only last 8 chicks a day or so but it doesn't take up much space, little notch cut out the lid and hot glued to a plant saucer. Ps: the lid, not the bottle, I can still unscrew it and refill it like this I was worried about the hot glue not holding the bottle but bigger chicks have knocked them over, kicked them about and the glue is holding well.
IMG_6211.JPG
IMG_6212.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom